BANGKOK 19 October 2018 13:31
webfact

"We are not coming back" : Tourists give the thumbs down to Khao San Road changes

9 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Vietnam seems be to be on rise, every youngster, every adult  coming back from Viet is impressed and excited. Do maybe give it a try, I been resisting so far, out of pure laziness. But Thailand becoming so boring, so "clean" makes Vietnam something to investigate.

I have only been to Hanoi, Northern VIetnam and I went winter time , and to my surprise it's very cold up north , with temperatures down to 10 degrees C, and windy.   Anyway night life close early in Hanoi and it didn't really feel like a lively city after midnight.  

But the food is amazing , and plenty of restaurants and bars, museums to explore. I saw plenty of backpackers there too , but not same as in SR.  

I think most backpackers prefer Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) , its a real party town from what I've heard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, balo said:

I have only been to Hanoi, Northern VIetnam and I went winter time , and to my surprise it's very cold up north , with temperatures down to 10 degrees C, and windy.   Anyway night life close early in Hanoi and it didn't really feel like a lively city after midnight.  

But the food is amazing , and plenty of restaurants and bars, museums to explore. I saw plenty of backpackers there too , but not same as in SR.  

I think most backpackers prefer Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) , its a real party town from what I've heard. 

Hanoi really is far North, and maybe too cold to spend winter. But did you like it, other than colder than optimal temperatures?

I'm travelling to Saigon (HCMC) at end of this month, Saigon is south, of course, I imagine weather same as Pattaya. A bit too hot, but tolerable. Saigon is so easy to get to, an hour flight,  even a bus from Phnom Penh takes only 6 hours, and costs $9 to $20 depending bus company. While visiting Cambodia, 2 years on and off, I was planning, but always oo lazy to go and check out Saigon, really should have, it is no near, and so cheap to get to. 

If it is a good place to stay long term, I will stsy. So i just bought Bangkok Air 1 way.  The main issue will be how easy it is to rent monthly, what are the different neighourhoods, and overall feel of the city. If it is as good as many say, maybe stay until March, but as with any place, have to check it out myself.

Another good thing about Saigon, it is not far from coast, just a bus ride, and apparently beaches there are nice, and water is clean. Surfer friend of mine loved it, few years back, he was near Vung Tau, he liked the wind and beaches, but said town is very, very quiet after 8pm, if true, that's not so good.

So I'll probably grab a small  studio in Saigon, having been watching youtube walk around videos, Saigon has nice coffee shops, and that's high on my list. Apparently Viet street food is very tasty,  and all kinds of different offerings. Street food has always been main issue in Cambodia, not very tasty. Every expat I have met in Cambodia, mainly Sianoukville, has moved there from Thailand, and most often from Pattaya for one reason only, they are retired, and pension goes further in Cambodia. And it reall is incredibly cheap, from food to beer to cigarettes to other smoke related otions.

I like Pattaya, despite all its issues, i like the mess and seediness, alltho I slmost never participate in adult entertainment. But Pattaya feels home, and thats the reason of postponing a change from Pattaya,  been procrastinating several years now, partly laziness, partly cos I still like it enough. 

I'm very curious how Saigon compares, it may easily  turn out to be bye bye to Pattaya, after about 12 winters here.

Edited by whitemouse
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2018 at 12:33 AM, Nyezhov said:

If UK tourism has been killed, why is it that most of the Falang i see have those silly accents? 

You mean they all come from Yorkshire or Birmingham? Or from Russia comrade?

• Like 1