Thaivisa Web Content Team

Ridiculous $2,015 Beef Noodle Soup in China Now the World’s Most Expensive

A beef noodle soup dish, commonly referred to as ban mian, at a restaurant in Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province, China has gone viral for its ridiculously expensive price tag of 13,800 yuan ($2,015) per bowl.

The dish contains four ingredients that come from the “sky, land, and sea,” Sin Chew Daily reported via AsiaOne.

Unfortunately, the restaurant did not specify what those ingredients are.

The store’s manager explained that only four bowls have been served to customers since it was first made available to order six months ago.

The incredibly steep price had one Chinese social media user saying that the beef noodle soup is as expensive as the actual cow.

Other netizens said that the price of the beef ban mian is nothing more than a gimmick to attract more customers.

Full article

On 8/7/2018 at 10:00 PM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

four ingredients that come from the “sky, land, and sea,”

one ingredient from "sky", one from "land", one from "and", one from "sea"

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Could have 2 from either of the above?

• Confused 1

Just what you want to snack on while reading your Ferrari history book. 

• Haha 2

Mainland Chinese use recycled sewage oil and fat meat oil to cook their meals.   

Every time I go to China, I only eat in 4/5 star hotel restaurants.  

I also eat much QUAKER instant oatmeal in my hotel room.    

China simply does not have enough farmland to support it's huge population. 

When I walk around the wet markets in mid size cities, I see nothing

but white fat meat and tiny rotten fish fit for stray cats.    

When I have no choice but to eat local citizen food, I avoid oily fried items and grind meat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

There is nothing much more satisfying then selling the excessively wealthy something as mundane as a bowl of soup for an exorbitant price by convincing them that the soup is somehow special and as such unavailable to all but they most rich and affluent.  <laugh>  They buy the con and willingly shell out the jack.  That's funnier than can be. 
"You know, this is a very special dish as it contains four ingredients that come from the “sky, land, and sea.  It's very special soup only for very special people”"
Yeah, rich morons.  :clap2:

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Forever the skeptic, but I question the intelligence of anyone willing to pay 2 grand for a bowl of soup, all for the sake of looking like a big-shot. However, I suppose learning to count to four could be more expensive in the long run.

There was a restaurant in Ratchaburi selling Ladna for 10,000 baht a bowl.  I never saw it myself.  But my Thai friends said it had an expensive mushroom in it.  I'm guessing truffle.

The stand alone no drink 1foot subway Italian baguette with a bit of beef cheese and salad at 259bt seamed like 13800 yuan to me when I paid it on Wednesday 🤔 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Gee, ya think?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

Mainland Chinese use recycled sewage oil and fat meat oil to cook their meals.   

Every time I go to China, I only eat in 4/5 star hotel restaurants.  

I also eat much QUAKER instant oatmeal in my hotel room.    

China simply does not have enough farmland to support it's huge population. 

When I walk around the wet markets in mid size cities, I see nothing

but white fat meat and tiny rotten fish fit for stray cats.    

When I have no choice but to eat local citizen food, I avoid oily fried items and grind meat. 

I spent a year in China and absolutely loved the food there. Much better than boring old Thai fare. Maybe if I ventured out of Issan more often I might find something more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I eat and by and large, enjoy Thai food, but I find it so repetitive. 

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

I spent a year in China and absolutely loved the food there. Much better boring old Thai fare.

So what was the Tiger Penis pate like  ?  Heard it can be quite an acquired taste requiring a stiff drink after.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

There was a restaurant in Ratchaburi selling Ladna for 10,000 baht a bowl.  I never saw it myself.  But my Thai friends said it had an expensive mushroom in it.  I'm guessing truffle.

I used to visit a restaurant in Zhuhai that specialized in Fungi. Some of the dishes there were extremely expensive. The ingredients were hand picked in the forests and mountains during a very short season. I recall dishes up to a 100 GBP and some a lot more.

My selections were a little more modest, but still delicious 😊

Oh I do miss good Chinese food!

Locally, there is a wonderful bowl of noodles, for 45 baht.  I guess you have to be a Trumpet to warrant paying that much for a bowl of noodles.  An awful lot of food could be brought for that much, and given to those less fortunate, but then some people don't care.

5 hours ago, connda said:

There is nothing much more satisfying then selling the excessively wealthy something as mundane as a bowl of soup for an exorbitant price by convincing them that the soup is somehow special and as such unavailable to all but they most rich and affluent.  <laugh>  They buy the con and willingly shell out the jack.  That's funnier than can be. 
"You know, this is a very special dish as it contains four ingredients that come from the “sky, land, and sea.  It's very special soup only for very special people”"
Yeah, rich morons.  :clap2:

I agree with everything you said on a reality level. But, on a socio-cultural status level, it's the great equalizer.  It is neither the con of the restaurant nor the lunacy of the elites that buy it. Rather, it shows all who observe from near or far just who runs the freak show. It's all about face and who has more.