Jump to content
FireMedic

US tourist visa denied in Singapore

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone and good evening. My Thai wife and I live in Singapore. I work full time at a major company with an Employment pass. She is in school full time but also has a Dependent Pass. We used a visa service here in Singapore and all of our documents were 100%(letter from my work,pay slips, house papers, bank papers, insurance papers, invitation letter..everything required) the interviewer asked all the normal questions until at the end she said "how can you guarantee you will leave the US and return to Singapore?" My wife says "Well we both live here, my husbands job is here, my school is here, we have business class tickets to the US and back to Singapore." The interviewer says "Well return tickets don't guarantee you're coming back...you could simply cancel the tickets or not show up for the flight and stay in the US". Handed her passport back with the standard rejection letter. We went and spoke to the boss of the visa company and laid out all the paper work, went through all the questions and all the answers. The boss and the agent said they will call and inquire about what happened, however we will still have to re-apply and get another appointment. So my question is, how in the world do you answer that question other than what she said? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is your nationality?


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

What is your nationality?


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

great question

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna guess this is a tough one and the fat bitch interviewer was just having a bad day..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, FireMedic said:

I'm gonna guess this is a tough one and the fat bitch interviewer was just having a bad day..........

Well maybe just as you say else maybe there was something to make her think that, as long as you could bring your Thai wife with you, you would happily relocate to USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t bother. Well qualified Thai friend was denied a tourist visa twice to visit Hawaii with her Korean husband, his idea by the way to go there.

 

Third time she got the visa. In HNL she was separated from her husband, interrogated and all but called a prostitute. ICE left her in a room with no info for two hours then let her in after telling her not to “run away”.

 

(I have heard stories from other Thai women about getting the US tourist visa after multiple tries).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The visa company called me back today. They said they have an email that we can write to and they will give an explanation......but the lady flat out told her why she wasn't getting it before she left. Still have to re-apply and scheduled for a week or so away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I think the Consular pretty much has his/her mind made up before the interview.   But one blip can snowball and tube the whole thing, and it may have a lot to do with the Consular's attitude in general, or on that day.

 

My wife has been through 3 US Visa interviews - 2 outside Thailand and the last one at AMEMB BKK earlier this year. 

 

She got a 1-year the first time, then 5-years, then the 10-year from BKK.

 

As far as the prep work, we (meaning me) stuck with the KISS approach.  Never used a visa agent.   Wife doesn't work.  Doesn't have phat bank accounts.  No LoI.  I've never written a supporting letter about me, because it's not about me.  I've never purchased air tickets before the visa process because I thought that appeared overly-eager or presumptive to a jaded government flunky.   Never provided copies of house/car books, bank statements, and she's never been asked for it during her interviews.

 

Mate of mine used an agent for his wife's application at BKK a few months before my wife did her last one.  He wrote a letter about himself and the agent cut down a tree's worth of documentation.   She got the 10-year visa.   Who knows..... 😜

  image.png.ea08444fc910cdd6b50406212ba61d12.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before we got my wife's green card and moved back to the US, tried twice for a tourist visa, for nothing more sinister than I wanted to visit my daughters for 2 weeks.

At the time I had no thought's of moving back home.

Both times she got rejected after about three questions.

US tourist visa's are notoriously tough, regardless it seems of personal circumstances.

If I had to speculate why, I can only imagine that the consular officer doing the interview starts from the assumption that all Thai women are, or have been hookers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a fixed-term expat type contract in Singapore, and if so, how much time was left on the contract & visa?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Before we got my wife's green card and moved back to the US, tried twice for a tourist visa, for nothing more sinister than I wanted to visit my daughters for 2 weeks.

At the time I had no thought's of moving back home.

Both times she got rejected after about three questions.

US tourist visa's are notoriously tough, regardless it seems of personal circumstances.

If I had to speculate why, I can only imagine that the consular officer doing the interview starts from the assumption that all Thai women are, or have been hookers!

Jeez, that's so random.  Ref to your other thread, then she sailed through the system on the subsequent IR1 filing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, andy said:

Do you have a fixed-term expat type contract in Singapore, and if so, how much time was left on the contract & visa?

I am not a contract employee. I'm full time staff and government employment passes have to be renewed every 2 years. My employment pass and her dependent pass were just renewed a couple of weeks ago and both were included in her and my paperwork. So they would be renewed again in July 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, FireMedic said:

I am not a contract employee. I'm full time staff and government employment passes have to be renewed every 2 years. My employment pass and her dependent pass were just renewed a couple of weeks ago and both were included in her and my paperwork. So they would be renewed again in July 2020. 

In that case I am really surprised about the denial and I wouldn't bother applying in Singapore again.  May I suggest applying in Bangkok for the next try as the embassy in Sing is obviously full of it and is not going to be a user friendly option.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Jeez, that's so random.  Ref to your other thread, then she sailed through the system on the subsequent IR1 filing?

I just didn’t get it.

 

My wife had been in the US years ago on a student visa when she was at college in Chicago. I thought, wrongly, that would have made it easier. Maybe they figured she knew the US, and therefore was more likely not to return! Who knows.

 

Still, don’t need to worry about it anymore, that green card was/is a Godsend in the immigration world

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 19 August 2018 20:04
Sponsors
×