zapatero

Keeping a Toe In The Door -- Pros & Cons

I have been looking at this for a while and this market looks like it is about to become mainstream.

This service is a UK based service. They accept mail for as little as 0.60 a letter and scan it too for £0.90. The scanning alone is valuable for record keep8ng purposes but the point of scanning is it allows you to read the mail online. Pretty clever.

Must be a US version.

https://www.ukpostbox.com/pricing

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A close friend of mine (Thailand based) keeps a house in the UK, but then he has connections, family there etc etc. Personally I have absolutely no ties to my home country, not even a bank account, and I have no contact with any family there. It might as well not exist. However I can understand why many would want to maintain some kind of address or something. Seems a bit of a hassle though. Years ago when I finally left the UK forever, I had Her Majesty's Tax Office send me a cheque for the tax they owed me to my Thai address. No need for a UK address.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I found that it was extremely useful and even important to get and keep a permanent address somewhere

I think you've kind of missed the point. Expats already have permanent addresses in their host countries. 

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well I've been a 'guest' for 20 odd years, my entire family is here and I'm going through the citizenship process, so what's your definition of permanent? What would I do with an address in the UK, have my DTAC bill sent there? I've had the same number for 10 years, I'm not sure what's not permanent about my arrangements.

There's a difference between burning bridges, and letting go. I imagine some ecpats find it hard to let go, so they keep an address of some sort in the place they still consider to be home. 

Regarding your business model, the market is already awash with virtual offices and mail forwarding services, you write as though this is some brilliant new idea. 

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, NilSS said:

Well I've been a 'guest' for 20 odd years, my entire family is here and I'm going through the citizenship process, so what's your definition of permanent? What would I do with an address in the UK, have my DTAC bill sent there? I've had the same number for 10 years, I'm not sure what's not permanent about my arrangements.

There's a difference between burning bridges, and letting go. I imagine some ecpats find it hard to let go, so they keep an address of some sort in the place they still consider to be home. 

Regarding your business model, the market is already awash with virtual offices and mail forwarding services, you write as though this is some brilliant new idea. 

It's not my business model it was a service which I found that seems to offer a lot more besides a virtual address. If you had read there offerings you can see there menu is more advanced than a VO.

My suggestion was in line with the OP's request but if you cast your mind back as far as 20 years ago I'm pretty sure you will recall such a question you posed to yourself. It's a normal train of thought for many expats I expect.

Best of luck with the citizenship process. That does sound permanent.

Edited by Rc2702
  • Like 1

I’d be looking at Mailboxes Etc which offers such services in many countries. However I’m surprised at how little mail I receive these days as my bank offers electronic bank statements, electronic funds transfers etc., and the government maintains contact for everything through its online My Gov portal

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

That does sound permanent.

It's probably inaccurate to call myself an expat these days. I'm more migrant.

I agree with the expats who say don't burn bridges and keep an address in your home country.In the case of Canada if you don't have a Canadian mailing address all and any pensions are reduced.Even military pensions are taxed at a higher rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2018 at 7:42 AM, Rc2702 said:

Nah you have missed the point.  You are simply a guest. Burning the bridge is a bad idea.

How do you burn a bridge? The country that issued your passport will always welcome you back. If you were poor when you left it you will be poor going back ..nothing changed. Those with funds though can easily slip back into there previous lifestyle.

Edited by burningup
  • Like 2

It really depends on what need for it you might have... I use a friend's home as my permanent address. It is needed for investment accounts. Since near everything is online these days, I get very little mail. 

If you have a friend or accountant or lawyer, maybe they will let you use their physical address for mail. 

• Like 1