zapatero

Keeping a Toe In The Door -- Pros & Cons

2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I use a mail service in Seattle for the same reasons you used your MFS. Wanderer’s Mail Service has been around since the Alaskan Gold Rush. They have a web site that you can link to by googling them.  I’ve been using them for 5 years now.  I highly recommend them. 

ceweekly an old contract job site and company used to have a good service.  They are based out of Washington

8 hours ago, peleid said:

There is the old saying never burn your bridges

When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes.

- Dylan Thomas

Someone explain to me how I burned my bridges? I could go to the UK tomorrow if I chose to. DUH!!!

Edited by NilSS

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

hmmm.  thanks for the tip about virtual residency.  And since South Dakota is also a no income tax state, its ranking just went up in my book

So, I’m a little different I actually had a house in South Dakota, but I also maintained a virtual mailbox there too.

On the banking front, I’d always used my PMB (PMB = Private Mailbox it’s the USPS thing)  address, but when I went to open a new account with BoA a few years ago, bingo it was flagged as a virtual and I needed to provide a physical address, which for me wasn’t an issue.

On the whole residency issue, DL etc, it’s pretty easy. This link will explain everything

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/home/tips

On 8/11/2018 at 12:29 AM, Rc2702 said:

I have been looking at this for a while and this market looks like it is about to become mainstream.

This service is a UK based service. They accept mail for as little as 0.60 a letter and scan it too for £0.90. The scanning alone is valuable for record keep8ng purposes but the point of scanning is it allows you to read the mail online. Pretty clever.

Must be a US version.

https://www.ukpostbox.com/pricing

I have used this service for about 6 years and more than satisfied. For the amount of mail I get it would be considered expensive but I think the convenience outweighs the fees. When I first came here I had both a friend and my son look after my mail but they were unreliable which led to problems.

A couple of years ago I had to initiate a court case in the UK over flight tickets and could not have done it without this service, the benefit of that alone was more than the fees paid so far.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have used this service for about 6 years and more than satisfied. For the amount of mail I get it would be considered expensive but I think the convenience outweighs the fees. When I first came here I had both a friend and my son look after my mail but they were unreliable which led to problems.

A couple of years ago I had to initiate a court case in the UK over flight tickets and could not have done it without this service, the benefit of that alone was more than the fees paid so far.

Found another which seems very reasonable. Scan my post. They offer a deal where they can scan upto 40 documents a month and email them to you for  £9.99.

I am going to confirm they actually open and scan the contents as one review suggested he could identify the post prior to opening.

I am just wondering if you can actually register the address with your bank. Would be great for a business bank account and for HMRC correspondence.

I was interested in the Canadian retiree who mentioned his pensions being taxed at a higher rate if no Canadian address is on file. Does that include OAP and CPP? I'm pretty sure i want to retire in Thailand, but would be very disappointed if my pensions would amount to less than I receive now. Are there any other stipulations on the above I should consider?

On 8/11/2018 at 8:24 PM, cbc said:

I agree with the expats who say don't burn bridges and keep an address in your home country.In the case of Canada if you don't have a Canadian mailing address all and any pensions are reduced.Even military pensions are taxed at a higher rate.

16 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Found another which seems very reasonable. Scan my post. They offer a deal where they can scan upto 40 documents a month and email them to you for  £9.99.

I am going to confirm they actually open and scan the contents as one review suggested he could identify the post prior to opening.

I am just wondering if you can actually register the address with your bank. Would be great for a business bank account and for HMRC correspondence.

The service I use initially sends a scan of the envelope and you have to select what you want to do, open,junk, store or forward. I have had mail junked without being opened and also sent on. Normally opened and scanned and then I ask them to shred the original. If I want to keep some I have it stored and then sent to my son in the UK and pick it up from there.

I have my service address with the bank, they picked it up as being a commercial address so when I was in the UK I went in and explained the situation and they were ok with it. They have my Thai address and said they would prefer to send mail to the service address than Thailand, that is with HSBC. Both DWP and HMRC have Thai address and service address with the service address being the correspondence address.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Might be a tad difficult (quite apart from the obvious security risks) for having replacement debit and credit cards issued by your bank scanned and emailed to you, I would have thought!