rooster59

One year after Charlottesville rally, Trump says he condemns all racism

One year after Charlottesville rally, Trump says he condemns all racism

800x800 (6).jpg

People embrace at a memorial near the site where Heather Heyer was killed during the 2017 Charlottesville "Unite the Right" protests in Charlottesville, Virginia, U.S., August 11, 2018. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday he condemns "all types of racism and acts of violence," appealing for unity ahead of the anniversary of a deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Trump drew strong criticism in the days after the Charlottesville rally last year for equating white supremacists with counter-protesters and saying "both sides" were to blame.

On Saturday, Trump wrote on Twitter that the "riots" in Charlottesville "resulted in senseless death and division. We must come together as a nation. I condemn all types of racism and acts of violence. Peace to ALL Americans!"

White nationalists held a "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville last year, billing it as a protest over the removal of a statue honouring a commander of the Confederate Army, the losing side in the U.S. Civil War.

Counter-protesters turned out to demonstrate against the rally. James Alex Fields, Jr. is charged with driving his car into a group of counter-protesters, killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer and injuring dozens of people. He has pleaded not guilty and his trial is set to begin in November.

The organizer of last year's event, white nationalist Jason Kessler, was denied a permit in Charlottesville this year but has secured permission to hold a demonstration on Sunday in Washington, across the street from the White House.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-12

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I condemn all types of racism

Such as?

• Thanks 1

I think it was Mattis who said 'I only believe what Donald says when it is typed on a memo'

1 hour ago, huainnews said:

I think it was Mattis who said 'I only believe what Donald says when it is typed on a memo'

Trump would probably call that a forgery anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As much as I would like to believe him (the thought of an American President in 2018 being racist is abhorrent), I simply don't.

When one side of a dispute are Nazis and/or white supremacists and the other is not, there is no "both sides". There is ONE side and that is against Nazis and white supremacists.

It is really that simple...

There is ONE side and that is against Nazis and white supremacists.

correct me if i am wrong but are you saying....their rights end where your feelings begin?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Such as?

Against white men, and I don’t mean the ones with pus****

Edited by Redline

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He had his opportunity to show leadership, at the time, and he failed abysmally. He equated the racists with decent, hard working, tolerant Americans. That was unforgivable. The man is a racist. He despises brown people. He despises people who are not wealthy, though he tolerates his white followers who are common men and women, for purposes of support. He is a misogynist, a hater, a completely bitter fool. He is a loser on every level that is measurable, except for net worth. Not a single redeeming bone in this man childs body. 

I’m afraid his net worth is not even close to what he declares it to be.  I believe he has some big loans coming due soon as well.  He will be fighting law suits long after he is no longer President, and that should take him down another notch

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Emster23 said:

or his fingers if he's tweeting

Or his eyes blinking......

12 minutes ago, Redline said:

Against white men, and I don’t mean the ones with pus****

You’ve lost me with that post.