webfact

Poll candidates with military background ‘least desirable’

Poll candidates with military background ‘least desirable’

By The Nation

839984a87874b5c0b81eb6f356c13062.jpeg

Election candidates with a military background are the least desirable, the results of a public opinion survey showed on Sunday.

The largest number of respondents – 29.1 per cent – said they preferred civil servants as MP candidates, though some 7.5 per cent said they wanted more members of the armed forces running in the elections, a Suan Dusit poll shows.

Businesspeople came in second (25.4 per cent), followed by lawyers (22 per cent) and academics (16 per cent).

Suan Dusit University collected the opinions of 1,034 people across the country from last Wednesday until Saturday. 

When asked which subject the election candidates should have majored in, 41.2 per cent of the respondents said Economics, followed by Political Science (22 per cent), Business Administration (14.7 per cent), Law (14.5 per cent) and Public Administration (7.5 per cent).

As for what characteristic was the most important factor for voting in their representative, 27.9 per cent said honesty. 

Knowledge and capability came in second, with 25.2 per cent support, followed by personal history (16.2 per cent), educational background (15.9 per cent) and political experience (14.9 per cent).

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30351999

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-13

Oh how time changes, i remember 15-20 years ago the roadside signs with the pictures of the candidates in full military/police and scholar regalia, the more medals and ribbons the better, so much so that even civilian candidates had to don some kind of uniform to look attractive to the voters..  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, newnative said:

Maybe because Thais have seen how they have performed, or, in many cases, not performed.

Won't matter what the survey says. The Pm can't read English so he won't even look at it. Easy way he will get around it make soldiers take off the uniform and say they Businessmen. Thais will fall for it. So Pvt La la wong will become Mr. La La wong  That I show easy it is to fool Thais

• Like 2

That shows the popularity, I guess.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Are there any honest politicians in this nation? Is there anyone who will step up, who could truly represent the common man here? I would love to see them emerge. 

There is nobody in the US. No honest politicians left. The last one was John McCain. A true American hero. A man ready to admit his foibles and his mistakes. A man of real courage and decency. A man who was insulted by the current five time draft dodger, for getting captured after his plane was shot down. Real heroes do not get captured! Easy to say for you, as a fearful, corrupt, lying, cheating, bankrupting, hating, charlatan president. 

Before that Bill Richardson, who resigned from the panel in Burma recently, when he saw what a racist and ignorant bigot Suu Kyi was, and how they were trying to whitewash the Rohinga genocide. Bill Bradley, the former New Jersey senator was also a man of courage and an honest man. Anyone else? I doubt it. Washington is even more of a swamp now, than before the giant crocodile became president. Drain the swamp? How about repopulating it with alligators of his ilk? How about never, ever being able to say no to a lobbyist? 

I do hope the military is shown the door. They do not deserve to represent the Thai people. Over the past four years they have shown repeatedly, how little they care for the common man, and how important money, power, and the protection of the elite, the powerful, and those who are connected, or in office are to them. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2