webfact

Kiwi tourists urged not to ride elephants in Thailand

Little know fact... Elephant handler/trainer is the most dangerous profession in the world (deaths per active handlers). But to the point of the article, the animals used as entertainment for foreigners is a sad state. I will never forget my first trip to BK and there was an elephant walking down the sidewalk. I felt sorry for the poor beast.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I appreciate that people are concerned for the welfare of the animals, and yet, kevvy, people can do similar torturous things with horses.  On the other hand, there are other ways to "break in" a horse that are kinder.  That a case for torture has been found does not establish it as the norm.  As one who has moderate experience with horses, including wild horses and "green broke" horses, I believe there is more to the story than this singularly horrible example of torture which you have pointed out (and your example is horrible).  For example, at the elephant camp I visited in Northern Thailand, a "baby" (small, but not newborn) elephant was roaming the place near its mother, with neither of them alarmed at the tourists thronging around the baby to pet it, feed it, and the like.  I was surprised to see how stiff the hairs on the baby were, almost like a wire brush--pet carefully!  But it was happy, and unafraid of us.  I saw an elephant in a zoo once with the look of desolation in its eyes--the elephants at this camp had nothing of the sort.

Where do horses, oxen, and dogs belong?  What about the smaller animals, like chickens, rabbits, parakeets, and hamsters?  Horses, cows, moose, and deer can be hit by cars too--and the latter two were living "in peace and nature."  In Thailand, wild elephants face a significant risk from poaching.  Some of them have even been killed by stepping in the hot springs north of Chiangmai.  Being "wild" does not always equate with being "safe."

We don't have the saying "strong as an elephant" for nothing.  I'm not sure about the spine question, but I have a difficult time believing it.  I have witnessed elephants do a head stand, pick up a very heavy log with their tusks and/or trunk, etc., and that weight had to be supported somewhere.  I think the platform on the elephant with three or four people on it is quite easily within its strength--not even close to pushing the limits.  Let's not forget that for a baby elephant to come along, one elephant climbs up onto another.  If the elephant can hold the weight of another elephant . . . .

so when did you become a veterinary doctor and an expert on elephants .Oh that is right you went to an elephant camp .. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Kind???Just look on google and you will hundreds of acts of violence on these beautiful animals.

They could have at least used the correct paint touch up colour

bunch of cowboys  :smile:

1 minute ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Where do horses, oxen, and dogs belong? 

The animals you speak of are domesticated animals. Elephants are not. They are wild animals. Huge difference.

5 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Being "wild" does not always equate with being "safe."

No one said being wild is 100% safe for any animal, anywhere. What was said is elephants belong in nature with their family, not having their mom shot to death in front of them, taken to a cage, and tortured to teach them how to live with humans and spending the rest of their lives a slave in unhealthy conditions begging for pocket change to please man. There is no better example of animal cruelty than this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1