rooster59

Get tough measures aim to reduce road death toll among motorcyclists by 50%

They need a committee to know they need to enforce current laws? Surely this is a joke?

'Tis the name of a new comedy movie, I am sure. ?

8 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

A swathe of new measures being introduced next year aim to reduce the death toll among motorcyclists by 50% a year.

I don't know if this is possible but The number of riders and passengers wearing helmets has increased greatly in Chiang Mai. That has to help a little.

But they’re not proper helmets,just plastic bucket equivalents. 

Cheap helmets for cheap heads.

Posted (edited)

Strange , no mention at all about wearing a helmet.

Fine of 5000 B for that would be a start too. including for all police officers on motorcycle.  Probably if the superior officers force police to wear helmet, then they will certainly force the motorcyclist a the passenger to do it. That is what they did in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam and it worked. And I forgot, no helmet no driving, bike impounded or you call someone to bring you one.

Edited by cnx355

…and will the Thai Police be enforcing the new bike lanes or will they let Taxis lorries and cars driven by Thai men on the telephones block them up - proper enforcement by the Police will cut deaths of motorcyclists!!!!

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

Do you actually engage in traffic in Thailand? If you would, you would know that motorcycle drivers are equally bad as car drivers, but not wearing a helmet isn't in their advantage. If I drive from BKK to about 2 hours north I always see numerous motorcycles passing me while I drive about 100 to 110km/h. Most of those motorcycle drivers don't wear a helmet, don't wear protective clothing and sometimes they are also looking on their mobile phones while doing 120km/h with passengers on their bikes. tok=taai (falling down=death!)

Look on the bright side.  Statistically they will be dead long before you.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

But they’re not proper helmets,just plastic bucket equivalents. 

Cheap helmets for cheap heads.

I understand, your view but getting past all the lame excuse as to why not to wear one is the toughest task even if they wear a pot on their head once they get use to it the next step is to start to upgrade the quality.

2 hours ago, kentrot said:

Hmmmm 

* Did I miss it or was there NO mention of enforcing Mandatory HELMETS ?

* The insurance bureau has calculated that 1/2 of the deaths are drivers under the age of 25. (See chart below)  Let's start there if we are going to change the stats. More driver safety education in schools & more enforcement to "nab" the kids popping wheelies, and racing in gangs on the back-roads.

* I can't find any data at the moment . But from the media reports that I see so often , it would seem that most deaths occur late at night, after midnight. -------- Maybe more roadblocks after midnight to check for HELMETS, DRINKING, LICENSES could be carried out to reduce the carnage.....rather than plugging up traffic with road blocks to squeeze a few baht out of people on their way home from work. 

Related image

and this THAI chart on category of deaths - which supports the NEED for enforcement

Image result for graph + time of day of motorcycle deaths in Thailand

That might interfere with their soap opera, freelancing enforcement to make a few extra baht or their own drinking?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

bike lanes? These are not bicycles. I stay as far to the right in the lane with the fastest traffic where I don't have to deal with taxis, buses, cars stopping in the middle of the road, vendors etc. Motorcycles are vehicles, there are no special laws for motorcycles. Maybe banning motorcycles from the safest part of the road is the problem. I'll take an overpass before having to deal with an intersection any day!

Edited by gr8fldanielle

11 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Great, more parking places.

For noodle carts.

• Haha 1

Yep kids allowed at 15 to ride to school, so why are so many still riding on saturday and sunday and they arent going to school.

How about getting the bikes without rear view mirrors off the road, i love sliding up behind them and revving the motor.

Of course these two along with so many others would require enforcement, a dirty word with the so called police here.

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

There are 21 million motorcycles on the roads but only 13 million people have licenses.

The 21 million number probably comes from road tax statistics I'd assume. If so, then there's also a substantial number of uninsured/untaxed bikes on the road and the total might well go beyond 25M which means that nearly half of the riders have no license. From what I've seen, driving licenses are a rare thing in rural Thailand.

Imho they should not increase the fines so drastically (some people live on 6k salary...) but should instead make it mandatory to attend a riding course and obtain a license within X days. If people don't have any ID card on them then confiscate the bike and wait until someone from their family shows up.

If kids ride without a helmet or license, then send the kid AND the parent to a riding course.

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

photo caption:

"Hey everybody! I'm going to strap huge canisters of highly explosive gas to the back of my scooter and ride around Bangkok! Want to come along?"

Not nearly as dangerous as driving around on a soup kitchen or a flaming bbq.

They have been setting up these committees every year for decades and nothing has ever changed apart from the food and drinks which are exquisite and money well spent.

• Like 1

sad to say nothing will change 'will do nothing to reduce road rip toll  , great in theory choc de cup