Jonathan Fairfield

British Embassy Bangkok warns of the importance of having medical insurance

British Embassy Bangkok warns of the importance of having medical insurance

hi.jpg

Thaivisa is delighted to have teamed up with the British Embassy in order to effectively share messages to both British tourists and expats in Thailand.

A fresh warning has been issued to expats and tourists about the importance of having health and travel insurance when staying in Thailand.

The warning comes after the British Embassy in Bangkok revealed that many of the people it helped last year did not have insurance.

An estimated one million British tourists visit Thailand each year, while according to stats released by the British Embassy in 2016, there are a further 55,000 Brits living in Thailand, including 10,000 retirees.

However, many Brits are visiting and living in Thailand without insurance.

b1.jpg

Image: UK in Thailand

In 2017, 50 percent of the people who required consular assistance after being hospitalised were uninsured.

And it isn’t only tourists who are uninsured. In 2015, with 80% of British residents in Thailand over the age of 51 were found not have medical insurance.

Furthermore, some expats living in Thailand mistakenly believe that they can get free access to medical care if they return to the UK, but this is not the case.

In 2015, changes were made to the way visitors from overseas are charged for NHS hospital care.

b2.jpg

Image: UK in Thailand

The changes also affect some former residents of the UK, including expats in Thailand who may now be required to pay should they have to return to the UK for treatment in an NHS hospital.

You can read about the changes to the way overseas visitors are charged for NHS hospital care here.

The British Embassy is now urging Brits in Thailand to make sure they have insurance and to also ensure they fully understand exactly what they are covered for.

Like the British Embassy Bangkok on Facebook

Follow the British Embassy Bangkok on Twitter

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-18

Posted (edited)

I saw an advertisement for local hospital insurance for tourists, i think it was 6 days @ 60 baht.  Maybe you can buy it at the airport when you arrive?  I was only up to 400,000 baht though.

Edited by Don Chance
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

.....and outsourcing of most consular activities to India......

That part of your post is totally incorrect of course.

It’s only the processing of visa applications that now takes place in India, and even then it’s not outsourced, decisions are made by directly employed UKVI staff.

The Consular Section is still in Bangkok and, as far as I’m aware, they’re no plans to change this.

3 minutes ago, Morakot said:

as i mentioned in my post. there's nothing to make you stay after treatment so in fact british nationals abroad can use the nhs if need be