Scouse123

Purchase of unlocked Samsung phone in UK

Guys,

Quickie. If I buy a new unlocked phone in the UK, say a Samsung, it will work in Thailand on my postpaid account, won't it?

I am having a hell of a time convincing my other half who insists it won't.

The phone I bought here works in the UK with a change of SIM so surely the reverse is true?

23 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Quickie. If I buy a new unlocked phone in the UK, say a Samsung, it will work in Thailand on my postpaid account, won't it?

My brother's U.K. Samsung Galaxy A5 works perfectly on an AIS pre-payed SIM. 

• Like 1

Yes everything will work. Been doing it for years just the same as if you take an unlocked Thai purchased phone to the UK. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have never had any "unlocked" QUAD BAND mobile fail, from a cheap Chinese to expensive US market mobile in HK, USA or Thailand......WARNING..use LOCAL SIM!!!..ROAMING charges are a killer.

QUAD BAND unlocked mobiles will work in most countries by inserting the LOCAL SIM, even on a CDMA network - a →special SIM required← to work

Edited by edwardflory
Addl info

With Samsung, the one drawback, if you are going to live here, is that a phone bought in Europe will not be updated here, and vice-versa.

I think the answer is in the question - “ unlocked “ !! 

There's no problem getting the phone unlocked at pretty much any of the phone shops here.

Of course there's nothing special about Thailand. Any phone works 

New sim 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HHTel said:

With Samsung, the one drawback, if you are going to live here, is that a phone bought in Europe will not be updated here, and vice-versa.

Utter rubbish.  All mine update

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Received all updates 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Hi,

In Thailand, I use an unlocked Thai phone purchased here and I have a postpaid SIM with my own number. You have surprised me by saying that if I buy one in the UK it will not update over here. If that is the case and I am spending 11 months out of the year here, then maybe better I buy one here.

I have a UK banking app on it for mobile UK banking and was a bit worried I may not be able to get it up and running out here on a local phone. When I took my phone to the UK I got Barclays to install it on my mobile device.

Edited by Scouse123