Andrew Dwyer

Firelighters in LOS ?

Are firelighters available here ?

If anyone knows where they are sold, what the Thai name is etc , I would appreciate it.

These?

Molotov cocktails?

Flame throwers?

Can you narrow it down some?

images-10.jpg

I lived in a house with a fireplace for 20 years and never heard of these.  According to this video they're used for getting the fire started (because split logs don't catch fire that easily).  Why not just use real kindling?  It's not like there's a shortage of sticks and twigs here.

What are you trying to start up? Fireplace, bonfire, bbq?

In "ancient times" when houses in Germany where heated with coal such firelighter cubes were popular/essential.

I can't remember ever having seen them in Thailand.

I guess the question is about lighting a charcoal oven as usual here?

When searching I stumbled about an idea that I might try:

use a paper towel (from kitchen roll) and soak it in cooking oil (can be used/rancid).

Then drape it on the oven plate and fire it up with the (cigarette) lighter.

Still advised to use some wood/branches before putting charcoal on top.

Would be nice if it works instead of the stinking bike tube rubber :biggrin:

• Like 1

Thais use a few of the ubiquitous plastic bags as a firelighter...best for BBQ chicken bums !

36 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

BBQ

We use small kindling, which madam splits specially, and a blowtorch. Gets natural charcoal going very quickly, briquets are much more difficult to start.

The family use an old flip-flop, you definitely don't want the first burger off the grill :sick:

I've seen barbie lighters (and fluid if that floats your boat) in HomePro, with the (expensive) charcoal and barbies.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We use small kindling, which madam splits specially, and a blowtorch. Gets natural charcoal going very quickly, briquets are much more difficult to start.

The family use an old flip-flop, you definitely don't want the first burger off the grill :sick:

I've seen barbie lighters (and fluid if that floats your boat) in HomePro, with the (expensive) charcoal and barbies.

Thanks Crossy, right now am using scrunched up paper, some odd bits of wood that accumulate and charcoal in a barbecue in a bucket ( for want of a better name ! ).

The paper sends a load of ash over where we are gonna eat so just wanted to eliminate the paper with firelighters.

Sorted !

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Barbie lighters ?   you talking about Ken ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The paper sends a load of ash over where we are gonna eat so just wanted to eliminate the paper with firelighters.

Yeah, know what you mean with the paper.

If you don't have blowtorch then a couple of paper towels soaked in used cooking oil work well and don't make loads of flying ash.

• Like 1