soistalker

Alcoholic friend in trouble

Posted (edited)

My friend is an alcoholic who lives in Jomtien.  He is 50, and in pretty good shape. He wants to know where he should go if  gets into trouble with withdrawl symptoms. He is afraid that he will need to go to an Emergency Room, and he wants to know where to go that will help him and not be clueless, possibly making things worse. Which hospital do you recommend?

He tried to stop drinking, which he did  successfully for a few months last Christmas. But He started drinking again. He said he had moderately bad withdrawal symptoms. He said that each time he tries to quit, he has worse and worse withdrawal symptoms. He drinks about 18 beers every day.

Where should he go if he needs help while having withdrawal?

Edited by soistalker
  • Like 2

He doesnt need a hospital. There is plenty of info on the web that will tell him exactly how to wind down. However if he cant ration his alcohol without breaking the rules then yeah he will need to do it under medical supervision for the whole time until he is out of the woods

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, zmak said:

He doesnt need a hospital. There is plenty of info on the web that will tell him exactly how to wind down. However if he cant ration his alcohol without breaking the rules then yeah he will need to do it under medical supervision for the whole time until he is out of the woods

People have died from the effects of alcohol withdrawal so I salute the guy for willingness to look for a good hospital to keep an eye on him.

With many Thai hospitals being about as cheap as a decent hotel room, that decision is even easier. 

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Maybe medical experts like @Sheryl would have to contribute to that?

Please remember there is separate "I drink too much forum".

Might worth to browse there.

• Like 2

I recommend removing ones self from temptation. Rent a house away from every where. Isolate yourself. Set a plan, do your hobbies, converse with friends and it will be easier.

If you live near a 7:11 you're buggered.

Good luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kiniyow said:

All Hospitals will know what to do...They seen this often

Pattaya hospitals address the symptoms and any immediate emergency. An organization such as Alcoholics Anonymous may help this man find a solution for long term sobriety. www.aathailand.org.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

I recommend removing ones self from temptation. Rent a house away from every where. Isolate yourself. Set a plan, do your hobbies, converse with friends and it will be easier.

If you live near a 7:11 you're buggered.

Good luck

Is this from personal experience?

3 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Is this from personal experience?

Yes, but not with alcohol.