BANGKOK 17 November 2018 17:36
puukao

Is this breaking my contract?

It's fun venting about teaching in Thailand, and I'm not going to start 1000 threads about how great my kids are.  They are great.

Anyhow, so we all (I think) give the Labor Department a copy of our schedule with our contract.  My schedule has literally been changed over 20 times in the last year, and this last change really got me upset.  First I was doing special teaching for kids studying for an important interview, then homeroom duties (I'm not a homeroom teacher) for 20 minutes a day, now a few extra classes.

My current schedule is NOTHING like what we gave the labor department.  

Can I simply stick it out for one more month?  Oh, maybe...

But I do want to know if they are breaking my contract and if I could leave immediately.

I've told them over 100 times, "if you change my schedule again, I will leave."  Yes, I'm the idiot who cried wolf.  

Worst case, I need to go next week to let them know i'm leaving in 30-days (give them a written notice)....

anyhow, thoughts:?

Give your notice and then stick it out. You don’t have to do much more than that. Focus on your students and don’t get into any unnecessary arguments with admin. 

• Like 2

Andrew is right, except that some people would advise waiting 'til job season starts IF you need regular income.

I know of people who have left jobs in 24 hours "because Mom is very ill" or some excuse. I am not saying that anyone should do that, but having worked here for 16 years, the employers do have a habit of being SOBs sometimes.

People used to say that there was a black list OR that the police or airport immigration would arrest you if you "broke contract". None of that stuff is true: the police couldn't give a FF, and there is only word of mouth between a few schools (they all hate each other LOL). A friend once looked into this, and it turned out that a civil suit (being sued by a school) would take 2-3 years and big lawyer fees IF anyone could catch you or be bothered.

Of course, you would not be asking for a reference...

• Like 1

appreciate the replies.  As I've told my fellow teacher, it's never just ONE thing....it's seeing how other teachers have been treated for years, and after a while it really adds up.  I've seen maybe 50 teachers leave in 1.5 years.  Almost 100% teacher turnover, and that's pretty crazy.  One thing I do is vent on this website, so I don't vent to admin.  For the first 6-months, I didn't even know admin.  Then I became "important" and we have had about 100 meetings, or more.  So, we are "friends" but we don't trust each other.  I made it sooo easy for them a few months ago....I said, "no more meetings, leave me alone, don't change this schedule, and I'll help you make money."  5555.  Yea, that lasted a few weeks.  The problem was they fired so many teachers and didn't hire many back, making more money.  90% of teachers either leave if forced to work a lot, and 99% don't complain.  I'm definitely the 1%, since I have the most leverage of any teacher here.  If I was simply one of even two farangs, they wouldn't deal with me.  But i'm 1 of 1.  I told them for five months to replace me, but a few parents tell them to keep me.  555.  

a good thai friend of mine got fired last week, all because he asked about some government test.  he has been here 10 years.  probably not that one thing, but it was brutal to watch.

and some teachers at 10,000 a month.......can you imagine???  

• Like 1

Do the re-schedules still fit in with your general responsibilities or have they more way beyond them? I don't teach so I am not probably in a good position to comment but in my work you can as long as it falls within the general responsibilities of you contract be asked to do just about anything.

Why don't you sit down with the head of the Admin section who I assume these changes are coming from and try and work something out with them? Sure you can quit but then you will go through the process of getting another job and if in general you like your current organization I would say try to come to an agreement with them

Posted (edited)

I hope my experience at a recent private university helps.  It forces contracts on all new lecturers so the institution has documentation that those humans are actually hired on its organization.  Every department undergoes annual quality check from the Ministry of Education, and only those that pass the "quality" assurance are allowed on the approved list of institutions where students with government loans are allowed to attend.  Each of us, you included, earn quality point(s) for the quality assurance, of which a certain amount is required by the MOE for approval for students on government loans to attend.  (A contract is "proof" to the MOE authorities that such humans with particular credentials and research publications exist for the purpose of obtaining the QA points).  

But the HR administrator assures me and my colleagues that we can put in a 30-day notice if we wish to resign.   The contract doesn't technically forces us to fulfill its length of tenure.  

Edited by kuhske

Can you rewrite that? Doesn’t seem to make sense, but may contain some interesting information.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greenchair said:

Just start turning up late. 

Smell a bit. 

Don't wash your hair for a month  (if you have any ).

Don't brush your teeth. 

Stop the nicy nicy teaching stuff. 

Don't speak in the class, just give them worksheets. 

They will kindly replace you with severance pay if you leave quietly. 

NgAHH IT IS AN EGO THANG WITH SOME OF THE ADMINISTRATORS... THEY WILL KEEP YOU TO SPITE YOU.

The More likely situation that would raise eyebrows are the parents' opinions...

Cheers Leave already..

If they treat everyone with such disdain, why have you stayed for so long? If they are firing good staff then it's only a matter of time til you're next, even if you feel you're indispensable.

I asked them many times to replace me, and I've given my notice before.  they were going to give me a contract that ended at the end of the term, but they have never done that.  so I need to give a 30-day notice again next week, and leave when the term is over.  we have orally agreed on that.  yes, i'm 100% sure they keep me around in spite of me, and it is a big process getting rid of the work permit, go to immigration, then border run.  if that process was easier (border was closer), then i'm sure I would have done that a few months ago.

i'm the only teacher that can show up at 8:30, every other teacher must be here at 7:15.  i'm also paid twice as much as most teachers, and 3x as much as some teachers.  it's not a money thing or time thing with me, it's the principle of being constantly told one thing and then, after teachers quit, they are not replaced but work spread out to current teachers.  of course, this makes the environment toxic, as everyone is upset and everyone ends up leaving.  five teachers are currently talking about leaving.  this weighs on you ...  

I admit, I should have left six months ago, but, when it comes to the kids, I really am the best English they may have ever had.....of course they are not very old.  5555.  but they are very happy and their English is getting better (no, they don't have the UK accent:  see previous post).  

Posted (edited)

You don't sound like you're qualified to work in a decent school.  I am judging you based on how your school is treating you. 

Sure. Leave. What is out there better for you?

Edited by falangjim

3 hours ago, puukao said:

I asked them many times to replace me, and I've given my notice before.  they were going to give me a contract that ended at the end of the term, but they have never done that.  so I need to give a 30-day notice again next week, and leave when the term is over.  we have orally agreed on that.  yes, i'm 100% sure they keep me around in spite of me, and it is a big process getting rid of the work permit, go to immigration, then border run.  if that process was easier (border was closer), then i'm sure I would have done that a few months ago.

i'm the only teacher that can show up at 8:30, every other teacher must be here at 7:15.  i'm also paid twice as much as most teachers, and 3x as much as some teachers.  it's not a money thing or time thing with me, it's the principle of being constantly told one thing and then, after teachers quit, they are not replaced but work spread out to current teachers.  of course, this makes the environment toxic, as everyone is upset and everyone ends up leaving.  five teachers are currently talking about leaving.  this weighs on you ...  

I admit, I should have left six months ago, but, when it comes to the kids, I really am the best English they may have ever had.....of course they are not very old.  5555.  but they are very happy and their English is getting better (no, they don't have the UK accent:  see previous post).  

The life lesson you need to learn is to not be so conditioned by the circumstances you find yourself in.

Honestly, I think you might be suffering from some kind of culture shock. Just get on with your work and look for a supportive group of friends you can discuss these things with. This forum isn’t a decent substitute. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2018 at 9:18 PM, Happy enough said:

On 8/25/2018 at 9:07 AM, dinsdale said:

Thai teaching contract: We can break it but you can't.?

I can corroborate that. My contract had a mutual clause regarding notice period. But then, the director was obsessed with costs and NES were soon replaced with a teenage backpacker who wasn't a single day at university (but got a WP all right). And later, Cameroonians.

To save $$$, I got terminated with a Thai letter (my contract was in English, too) and they succeeded. Probationary period was a distant past. And real cause would mean, it's okay. But I swear, I never even

i. learned what they terminated me for or

ii. got paid within months for the full months I had worked there. (Finally, they made me come, sign a book  and get a check before it became stale).