BANGKOK 17 October 2018 15:36
webfact

More details on the new rules regarding work permits and working in Thailand

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Arguably the most significant change was that the Decree states that a foreigner who has  work permit in Thailand can now work anywhere and for anyone and carry out work not listed in the description on their work permit, providing it is not excluded under the list of occupations prohibited to foreigners. 

I can't believe this, interpretation/translation! Specifically the 'work for anyone' bit. The rest is believable and good news.

My guess is 'you can work anywhere in the country, for the same employer and do anything permitted under the list...' will be more likely. Only a guess tho ?

• Like 2

...interesting to note: agricultural/horticultural and associated endeavours have never been listed on the prohibited side - not from my memory, anyway.

quite surprised thai-bashing is not on the prohibited list with the avalanche of sweeping conservatism

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

I can't believe this, interpretation/translation! Specifically the 'work for anyone' bit. The rest is believable and good news.

Taiwan and Hong Kong allow this.  Pretty sure Cambodia and Singapore does too.  Malaysia may as well, so they may just be taking on their good example.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, webfact said:

Plan to remove 12 occupations from the list of 39 prohibited occupations

1. Labour work

Nifty!  I can plant rice and pick lamyai!  Whoo Hoo! 
All kidding aside, this is good news and long overdue.  Kudos to whatever ministry decided its time to bring Thai labor law into the 21st century. 

Edited by connda
  • Haha 2

So according to this latest update the Government should release those Russians still held in prison for sex lectures. Surely they are being held illegally especially as they are still waiting trial in prison after nearly 6 months. Or am I missing something ?

• Like 2