chingmai331

Street corner cameras in CM

Had not seen this before but on my corner, near Nakornping Condo and Chiang Mai Lodge, noticed on a 10 m pole  obvious cameras facing both up and down the street.  No traffic signals here so what is the govt looking for?  

Have you seen any in your area?  Does anyone know the ultimate function of these cameras?

I'm familiar with such cameras in china where  social control is central to the govt policy and now of course those cameras can be used by AI for instant identification of individuals. 

I can fully agree with cameras at traffic signal corners  nabbing the bad drivers but am dismayed to find them near my house on a normal and quiet soi. 

It was on the radio news recently that CM was the guinea pig for all Thailand.

They have installed somewhere in the region of 200 cameras all going back to a central comm centre.

I think its about monitoring traffic accidents and being able to respond to accidents etc.

If the trial is succesful, it rolls out elsewhere.

Makes you wonder what resposible persons are in charge of watching 200monitors

i wouldn't worry too much. a friend recently had her bag stolen in bangkok. she noticed there were cameras covering the area so went to the police and requested they look at the cctv. the cameras are not connected/live was the reply. speaking to other friends apparently this is quite common. and even if they are all live when installed thailand doesn't have the best record for a) installing good quality infrastructure and b) servicing/repairing/maintaining infrastructure.

So Big Brother is watching you, what's is your problem about having cameras on your small soi?

They are watching you when you go into the bank, when you go into the airport, when you go into a 711, many shops, all of England, 65% of the USA, ....

They have them on our soi too. The initial outlay obviously comes with a big budget as many people involved in the installing , adjusting, overseeing. They might catch a dog illegally pooping if they are lucky, as nothing ever happens on our soi.

4 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Good.

Don't commit a crime or engage in anti-social behaviours.

Hmmm, tell it to Winston Smith......

• Thanks 1

They are being used in a big way on the highways here too. They are issuing speeding fines in the post to the vehicles registered owner. My son in law has had 3 from the outer ring road recently

7 hours ago, cmsally said:

They have them on our soi too. The initial outlay obviously comes with a big budget as many people involved in the installing , adjusting, overseeing. 

This is why its popular.. 

The initial install contract is juicy.. Theres never any budget for maintenance and often little to no thought as to budget for and provision to monitor it real time. Theres obviously no centralized system of controls and its all ad hoc design.

On Phuket the contract to install terrible quality low def cant see at night cameras was multi millions of baht.. I have a feeling it worked out to about 600k per camera.. After they were installed a year later only 30% still worked.. Usual money hand out to connected contractors and little to no use. 

• Like 1

My GF copped a 400 baht fine for riding without a helmet. Caught dead to rights on camera.

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

sometimes the police can track a person who committed a crime all the way back to their destination with the cameras.

beats having to go outside in the heat and or run and jump over a fence in a too tight Thai police uniform.

They indeed are snug!  Id be pulling at my crotch all day--chafing in this heat--pinching my peach basket!

• Haha 1

Don't worry, the contract to install would have included so many backhanders, there would've no money left for quality. Broken, if not, easily broken with no maintenance budget. Thailand doesn't have the motivation to become China.