Csaw

Is Thai food in Chiang Mai cheaper than Bangkok?

So i keep hearing Chiang Mai is cheap compared to other parts, such as Bangkok. Besides accommodation, what is it cheaper at? I was wondering about food...street food. Is it cheaper in Chiang Mai?

For locals, but tourist hot spots will probably be similar.

Fresh vegetables & salads etc at markets are local & cheaper.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I go out to eat , the prices of local food are almost the same in Bangkok and ChiangMai.

The main difference is the hotel rates, the hotel rates are much more expensive in Bangkok. I am still trying to find (studio) accom in Bangkok where the rent is 5000 baht per month which I can get in CM.

The public transport is much cheaper in Bangkok surprisingly, in Chiang Mai, before the blue bus came in, the Song Taew costs 20 baht and above, more for tourists. In Bangkok, I paid only 10 baht per trip which is the same distance as inside the moat.

So, in conclusion.

Local food/fruits = almost the same except for tourist areas

Hotel/accom rates = more expensive in Bangkok

Transport = cheaper and more convenient in Bangkok

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

Alot of the resturants in the old city are more expensive for the BPs and tourist than the locals who live near the old city or in it, we know where to go. Forget Niman area very expensive.

• Like 1

Food court, hotel and shopping center restaurant food is much cheaper in CM than in Bkk...

come me to think of it so are middle of the road restaurants/bars in tourist areas

Edited by cardinalblue

Very likely as capital cities around the world have a reputation for being more expensive than their provincial towns.

I don't think the commute for a cheaper takeaway will be good value though.

• Like 1

Do the Tesco Lotus BBQ chicken test. 139 baht in Hua Hin and Bangkok.  Exactly the same chicken is 118 baht in Roi Et, Ubon Ratchathani and Surin.

How much is it in CM?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Do the Tesco Lotus BBQ chicken test. 139 baht in Hua Hin and Bangkok.  Exactly the same chicken is 118 baht in Roi Et, Ubon Ratchathani and Surin.

How much is it in CM?

A cooked BBQ chicken in Big C is 110 baht. Not sure about in Lotus. 

I generally find all prices across the board to be a bit cheaper in CM compared to Bangkok and Phuket. 

Edited by NaamGin
  • Like 1

Loving the inputs. Just to make sure.... if i am to eat out like a local (avoiding tourist spots)...no difference in price - correct?

We visit my stepdaughter and stepson who live Bangkok suburbs a couple times a year. Prices for street food and local markets seem to be rising much faster there than Chiang Mai. Typical street food that goes for 30 to 40 baht here is around 50 to 60 baht there. They constantly complain about it.

On the other had when we shop at Tesco or Big C there we see only slightly higher prices than in Chiang Mai. Being doting parents we load up their apartments with durable goods while we are there.

grin...

BKK is 30 baht for street food, no? What kind of street food?

9 minutes ago, Csaw said:

grin...

BKK is 30 baht for street food, no? What kind of street food?

Typical rice or noodle dishes. Maybe prices are higher in the suburbs where there is less choice? We haven't been into central Bangkok for quite a while so not aware of prices there.

A lot of local fruit and vegetables in season are much cheaper than Bangkok. The stallholders were nearly giving away pineapple at the height of the season.

Not much different for street food. I've found the restaurants with Western menu items are significantly cheaper here than in Bangkok. Apologies for off topic.

• Like 1