BurgerGung

What is OBEC's role? Do they audit schools?

Academically and financially.

What does it take to become a World Class Standard School?

How come that lots of financial, err, irregularities point to officials still managing to divert funds into their own pockets. Something which is much harder where I come from. (Basically unheard of)

I've been through a couple of audits and inspection of the premises or observation of teaching lessons does not seem to happen.  The auditors focus on the paperwork.  If the school can produce boxes full of lesson plans, tests, teacher assessments, syllabi, antecedence records, grades, students' EQ scores, etc, etc, they will pass.  These records do not have to be meaningful or accurate, they just have to be voluminous!

I sometimes joke to new teachers that the auditors favorite tool is a ruler and that the school is evaluated by the height of the pile of paperwork the school produces. 

Unfortunately, I suspect that the joke is true.

9 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

I've been through a couple of audits and inspection of the premises or observation of teaching lessons does not seem to happen.  The auditors focus on the paperwork.  If the school can produce boxes full of lesson plans, tests, teacher assessments, syllabi, antecedence records, grades, students' EQ scores, etc, etc, they will pass.  These records do not have to be meaningful or accurate, they just have to be voluminous!

I sometimes joke to new teachers that the auditors favorite tool is a ruler and that the school is evaluated by the height of the pile of paperwork the school produces. 

Unfortunately, I suspect that the joke is true.

You are correct.   We once had a surprise audit, or I should say, we had an audit and no one bothered to tell me.   I got a call to bring them all of the evaluations, lesson plans (sorted by grade and subject) as well as an assortment of other documents.

I hadn't gotten around to actually setting up the files for all these documents, so in a moment of crisis, I took the folders from the previous year down to the office they were using.   They oogled and awed a bit, set them in the pile and NEVER, NEVER noticed they were from the wrong year!

I made it a point after that to keep up with all my filing.  

They also wanted to see the personnel records (application, copy of resume/CV, degree, etc.)

• Like 1