BANGKOK 18 October 2018 20:22
yogavnture

fix computer pantip plaza bangkok?

I am in usa. I busted my computer screen and was thinking of waiting to fix it until I get to bkk. in a month...….my logic is that the guys at pantip plaza work cheap.  although my experience is that computer parts seem to cost more in Thailand than in usa.  I thought about getting part here in usa and then have them install it in bkk.    maybe I should just go to bkk and see if both the part and labor is cheaper?

I was near Pantip Plaza recently, popped in, and its indeed a bit on the deserted side. Other places are a better bet - Fortune or Rangsit, for example.

Wouldn't know that what the OP plans is worth the hassle, or even amount to great savings. The only bit of concrete advice is that if it's a laptop, there's a very reliable guy in Fortune who fixes such. Speaks English, reasonable charges, and good advice (sometime to the effect that he doesn't earn, even). Name is Nick, and place is called Pro-Corner (I think there's a website/FB page). They could probably give you an initial quote or input by phone or email.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morch said:

I was near Pantip Plaza recently, popped in, and its indeed a bit on the deserted side. Other places are a better bet - Fortune or Rangsit, for example.

Wouldn't know that what the OP plans is worth the hassle, or even amount to great savings. The only bit of concrete advice is that if it's a laptop, there's a very reliable guy in Fortune who fixes such. Speaks English, reasonable charges, and good advice (sometime to the effect that he doesn't earn, even). Name is Nick, and place is called Pro-Corner (I think there's a website/FB page). They could probably give you an initial quote or input by phone or email.

I have used Nick ... he is OK

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Morch said:

do you know how I could reach him by email?

19 hours ago, yogavnture said:

I am in usa. I busted my computer screen and was thinking of waiting to fix it until I get to bkk. in a month...….my logic is that the guys at pantip plaza work cheap.  although my experience is that computer parts seem to cost more in Thailand than in usa.  I thought about getting part here in usa and then have them install it in bkk.    maybe I should just go to bkk and see if both the part and labor is cheaper?

Pantip has changed a lot in recent years, though there's still the old cheap repair outfits down at the back. I had my screen replaced on my old Acer a few years ago, my recollection was that a new part was  expensive, but several alternatives were available at a much lower rate from old machines depending on the condition, I could even opt for a matte or glossy screen. Some of the screens seemed to be interchangeable between brands, I was offered one with a small amount of screen burn (though still much better than the screen I was replacing) for only 500 baht including fitting, though I then found a good as new screen from a similar model with a broken hard drive, think the total charge was about 1500 baht. If you think the screen is available here on an old model you could probably source a used screen locally, otherwise if you turn up with a new screen I think they'd install it for a few hundred baht in either Pantip or Fortune tower. 

20 hours ago, yogavnture said:

Many people prefer to let the repair shop supply the part to be sure it's the correct part. If they can get the computer fixed with whatever part they get for you then you pay, otherwise not.

So if you are not sure which part is defect or not sure if you get exactly the correct part then I wouldn't buy it outside the shop.

But if you are sure which part you need and you are sure you get exactly that part then go ahead and buy it and let the guys in Thailand install it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, yogavnture said:

do you know how I could reach him by email?

Not as such, though I thought I did. Sorry.

Fax number if it helps: 0-2642-0578 (ext. 25).

And they are closed on Sundays.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, lamyai3 said:

Pantip has changed a lot in recent years, though there's still the old cheap repair outfits down at the back. I had my screen replaced on my old Acer a few years ago, my recollection was that a new part was  expensive, but several alternatives were available at a much lower rate from old machines depending on the condition, I could even opt for a matte or glossy screen. Some of the screens seemed to be interchangeable between brands, I was offered one with a small amount of screen burn (though still much better than the screen I was replacing) for only 500 baht including fitting, though I then found a good as new screen from a similar model with a broken hard drive, think the total charge was about 1500 baht. If you think the screen is available here on an old model you could probably source a used screen locally, otherwise if you turn up with a new screen I think they'd install it for a few hundred baht in either Pantip or Fortune tower. 

THANKS  I have never heard of fortune tower.  actually my screen works still pretty good. but smart to get it replaced I think its a yoga 900 lenovo so a pretty high end laptop. i dont think that they will have that around their very readily. my experience is that usa has less duty on these from china than thailand. so I will buy part here and have the put it In at fortune tower I guess......….what is fortune tower.. similar to pantip I guess

It is Fortune Town and a huge hotel/shopping center/office tower at corner of Rachada/Rama 9 (on subway route - stop right outside).  The computer area are the two floors above Tesco Lotus area at North end of building.  A very popular shopping area for such equipment.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you explicitly say what is actually wrong with your computer?  What parts do you need?  Heck, for most hardware adjustments I can probably just walk you through it on here :p.

On 9/15/2018 at 5:37 AM, Morch said:

Nick has fixed a couple of computers for me, always does a good job, is reliable and charges a fair price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

Nick has fixed a couple of computers for me, always does a good job, is reliable and charges a fair price.

What are fair prices ? I fixed computers in the past but it could get expensive if your busy with it for a few hours and charge normal rates. Just curious what they charge over here.

11 hours ago, robblok said:

What are fair prices ? I fixed computers in the past but it could get expensive if your busy with it for a few hours and charge normal rates. Just curious what they charge over here.

3500 to fix motherboard, no payment if they can't. Said it will take 4-5 days, done after a couple. 3 month guarantee for repairs. Guess it's all somewhat dependent on model and exact problem, though. I don't know if it's "fair" for everyone, but I never had to return with the same machine twice. Then there's the English bit. And the attitude, which is professional rather than the more common face saving act.

Oh, and OP - got that email for you, sent in PM.