Jump to content
YogaVeg

Easy ways to stay, 2018?

Recommended Posts

Hi Folks,

Great Forum here, I've read for hours, still I have questions.... a lot of the info I found looks dated ie not necessarily current to late 2018...

This being my first post feel free to redirect me ?

 

I've a USA passport here on a 60-day TV. I'm loving Thailand! I planned to bop around SE Asia, but I'm feeling like this is the place... I wanna stay for a bit.

I've done a couple weeks massage school and am up for trying to learn language, but not ready to get married to a language school for 6 months or year..

 

Time goes by quick, and I'm already looking at my first extension in a couple weeks. Then I'm thinking about a border run for another 60-day TV. I've also looked at language schools and the self-defense year ED Visa deal, but I really want to travel around and not be tied to one specific city...

 

Here is what I'd love some help with:

1- most of what I seen here regarding border runs seems to be folks rushing to get back...

- if I'm not in a hurry, and spend a week or two in a neighboring country, does that put me under less scrutiny when I return with my second and third 60 day TV + extension?

2- What's up with this TM30 residency deal? I'm just bopping around hotels and hostels and such, not keeping track of anything, is it something that could become an issue?

 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did what you are doing but tried to stay out of Thailand for a month before returning or going back to the UK at Christmas and returning in the new year. So I'd go to places like Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia (not so nice), Bali, and Laos (nice place). Bear in mind you could also do a 6 month ED Visa, to extend your stay in Thailand ... do it in a place you want to explore, then rinse and repeat.

 

I never crossed borders by land, always got the correct tourist visa from a foreign consulate ... I never had any problems but perhaps other people have ... hopefully you will hear their stories also.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

1- most of what I seen here regarding border runs seems to be folks rushing to get back...

- if I'm not in a hurry, and spend a week or two in a neighboring country, does that put me under less scrutiny when I return with my second and third 60 day TV + extension?

I doubt a week or two would make much difference, especially if using visas.

 

3 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

2- What's up with this TM30 residency deal? I'm just bopping around hotels and hostels and such, not keeping track of anything, is it something that could become an issue?

It's up to the hotel or hostel to make a TM.30 report, not you. Some immigration offices insist a TM.30 is on file when you apply for an extension of stay. If one hasn't been made those offices might refuse an extension until the report is made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

1- most of what I seen here regarding border runs seems to be folks rushing to get back...

- if I'm not in a hurry, and spend a week or two in a neighboring country, does that put me under less scrutiny when I return with my second and third 60 day TV + extension?

No problem to stay out of the country for awhile when you apply for another tourist visa.

It actually looks better to do that than returning the same day you get the visa.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

1- most of what I seen here regarding border runs seems to be folks rushing to get back...

- if I'm not in a hurry, and spend a week or two in a neighboring country, does that put me under less scrutiny when I return with my second and third 60 day TV + extension?

A longer time-out would indicate you are not working here illegally, but the best solution to the concern of refused-entry is to enter at friendly land-borders ("friendly" = "anywhere but Aranyaprathet/Poipet") carrying 20K Baht worth of cash (most often asked to see when returning from Malaysia).  After entry, inexpensive domestic-flights can take you where you need to go within Thailand.

 

Even entering by air, if you have a valid Tourist Visa, refusal-of-entry is unlikely - but it has been reported - and many have undergone interrogations, but eventually let in.  The more time you have spent in Thailand, the more likely you may encounter a problem.  I have seen no similar stories, in recent years, of entering via friendly land-borders with a Tourist Visa and the cash to show - which is why I suggest this option.  But, if I were forced to fly in with a long tourist-stay history, I would do so with a Tourist Visa plus the cash to show at Chang Mai - not Bangkok.  

 

Many have reported that you will not be given the opportunity to go to an ATM to get the cash to show after arriving in Thailand, and there are no ATMs before you hit immigration.  Therefore, you must get the cash to show before boarding your flight to Thailand.  This "show the cash" rule is a published requirement for entering with a Visa.

 

Quote

2- What's up with this TM30 residency deal? I'm just bopping around hotels and hostels and such, not keeping track of anything, is it something that could become an issue?

Only when/if you go to an immigration office - not at entry/exit points.  The place you stay should report your presence to Immigration (TM-30 is the form-id) - they have an online system to do this.  Be sure that the hotels and hostels where you are staying, at the time you will be applying for an extension at an immigration office, have done this.  Get a printout for proof, if they will give it to you. 

Note that TM-30s are not requested for extensions at Chang Wattana (Bangkok).  The wait-times there may be long, but reports indicate service without surprises / hassles.

Edited by JackThompson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2018 at 1:06 AM, AlexRich said:

I did what you are doing but tried to stay out of Thailand for a month before returning or going back to the UK at Christmas and returning in the new year. So I'd go to places like Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia (not so nice), Bali, and Laos (nice place). Bear in mind you could also do a 6 month ED Visa, to extend your stay in Thailand ... do it in a place you want to explore, then rinse and repeat.

 

I never crossed borders by land, always got the correct tourist visa from a foreign consulate ... I never had any problems but perhaps other people have ... hopefully you will hear their stories also.

 

 

 

You can get a visa on either side of the Mekong river, the Friendship Bridge to Laos (Vientiane). It was 1 $ for either day in 2014. And you can return the same day you left. But better take a Thai with you, someone that guarantees you're not going to sleep under the skies of Laos.

Edited by micmichd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, micmichd said:

You can get a visa on either side of the Mekong river, the Friendship Bridge to Laos (Vientiane). It was 1 $ for either day in 2014. And you can return the same day you left. But better take a Thai with you, someone that guarantees you're not going to sleep under the skies of Laos.

There's not a single truth in this post.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 25 September 2018 07:55
Sponsors
×