rooster59

Is going back home easier said than done?

Is going back home easier said than done?

By Dan Cheeseman

expat-going-home.jpg

Before I start this blog let me be clear: I am a happy expat. Previous blogs have allured to the possibility of a return back to the UK, but I was just being open in sharing some of the questions expats, like myself, inevitably have had. What is our end game – will we ever return back ‘home’ and will there ever come a time in the short term where one would need to go back?

The longer I spend living abroad, the less likely it is that I will ever go back to live again. The reality is there is very little back in the UK for me to go back for, I have my two brothers but see them when they come over on whenever I go back to the UK for a vacation. I have friends but we have all moved on from when I last lived in the UK over a decade ago. We are certainly still friends, but our mindsets have shifted in opposite directions.

Can you fit back in with a society that you left?

One of the biggest reasons for why I don’t think I will end up back in the UK is that I no longer fit in and no longer think aligned to the UK culture, friends and family. During August I saw on my Facebook feed all my friends back in the UK having their summer holidays – as it was half term for their children. So, every family gets away as the kids are off school. And they all jump on plane to British areas abroad in Europe and surround themselves with fellow Brit holiday makers. If ever I wanted reminding of the structure and routine to UK living that was it.

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/09/10/is-going-back-home-easier-said-than-done/

DAN ABOUT THAILAND

Weekly Vlogs and Blogs from in and around Thailand

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markaoffy said:

“Fit in and alligned to English culture “ would be the easiest part of moving back ! One thing I’ve never done (only parts I had to) is be part of or engage in Thai culture !

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do".... or you know better than 2,000 plus years of history???

• Haha 1

Yeah after six years here, i don't see my self going back to Australia,the UK,well i left 22 years ago,went back once for about 10 days in 2008,knew then would probably be the last time,was thinking of moving to Philippines couple of years ago,after a month came back here and met my now wife. The cold hard facts were she was far better looking than the Filipina i had been with,and all the hassle of relocating to another country swung it for me.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The only way I can see of going back to Australia would be to purchase a motorhome. All other forms of abode are too expensive.

Hopefully health issues won't drive me back there.

You could also rent a place, rather then buy one.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The only way I can see of going back to Australia would be to purchase a motorhome. All other forms of abode are too expensive.

Hopefully health issues won't drive me back there.

If Thailand plans don't work out for Mrs Rasi and I, we've discussed the same as an option. Sell the house and become nomads. ?

• Like 1