moonseeker

PADI Open Water Dive Course...

A friend wants to his Open Water in Pattaya... Any recommendations? Or better send him to Islands for a few days? Thank you. MS>

Diving in Pattaya is really poor. Best to go down south to the Andaman Sea.

If he is dead set on Pattaya give Real divers a try, in Jomtien. They are the only Pattaya shop I would dive with, having over the years experienced most of them.

Edited by Kim J

I did my O/W with Mermaids over 20 years ago, seen many other dive operators come and go but as far as I know Mermaids is still going strong. (have not had the opportunity to get back to Pattaya for a few years now). 

For O/W certification (when I did mine) was a 4 day coarse, First day was class room work, (this can now be done on line), second day was morning in the class room and afternoon in the pool familiarizing with the equipment and diving in a confined pool  to learn basic skills.

Days 3 and 4 consist of 4 open water dives (2 dives each day), these take place at one of the islands close to Pattaya, the location will be chosen for its suitability for diver training as a student diver will not really get the opportunity to take in the sights.

I have had many great dives off the Islands near Pattaya and Samae San (about half hour drive from the Mermaids Dive Centre) but there are better (and worse) places to dive than Pattaya, but Pattaya is so convenient for most people.

12 hours ago, Basil B said:

I did my O/W with Mermaids over 20 years ago, seen many other dive operators come and go but as far as I know Mermaids is still going strong. (have not had the opportunity to get back to Pattaya for a few years now).

Mermaids in the days you are talking about was set up and run by an American, and was indeed a professionally ran show. Unfortunately the founder / owner died many years ago at a young age and the business subsequently has new owners.

There have been many changes in that time.

Over the years there have been some dreadfully run dive operators in the Pattaya area, two of the larger shops that spring to mind have fortunately long gone out of business. As you say there are still the plethora of other shops that seem to be here one minute and gone the next.

There are very few dive centres in Pattaya that have lived the test of time and survived under the same ownership.

Edited by Kim J

2 hours ago, Kim J said:

Mermaids in the days you are talking about was set up and run by an American, and was indeed a professionally ran show. Unfortunately the founder / owner died many years ago at a young age and the business subsequently has new owners.

There have been many changes in that time.

Over the years there have been some dreadfully run dive operators in the Pattaya area, two of the larger shops that spring to mind have fortunately long gone out of business. As you say there are still the plethora of other shops that seem to be here one minute and gone the next.

There are very few dive centres in Pattaya that have lived the test of time and survived under the same ownership.

I knew Steve quite well, he was also a hasher and owned the TQ2 in Walking street

https://www.mermaiddive.com/in-memory-of-sb1/ 

16 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I knew Steve quite well, he was also a hasher and owned the TQ2 in Walking street

https://www.mermaiddive.com/in-memory-of-sb1/ 

Yes, B1 was a great guy, it was a very sad day he passed away.

I think I still have a "TQ2 free bar fine" card somewhere...

Also knew Pete and Neil (AKA Real Divers) and their farther Dave, a really great guy.

• Like 1

Come to Koh Kood. We can provide simple clean accommodation and your for certificate all in the beautiful clean water of Koh Kood. Wreck dive to HMTS Chang while you are there. Diving by German and accommodation by Aistralian/Thai couple. PM me if you like.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

Come to Koh Kood. We can provide simple clean accommodation and your for certificate all in the beautiful clean water of Koh Kood. Wreck dive to HMTS Chang while you are there. Diving by German and accommodation by Aistralian/Thai couple. PM me if you like.

You can not be serious. The conditions in that area of Thailand at this time of year can be absolutely appalling. Even at it's best you could not describe this diving as anything more than basic.

Anyone who is serious about diving and are traveling to Asia for a dive specific holiday would not even consider Thailand, let  alone the Eastern Gulf.

• Thanks 1

You can not be serious. The conditions in that area of Thailand at this time of year can be absolutely appalling. Even at it's best you could not describe this diving as anything more than basic.
Anyone who is serious about diving and are traveling to Asia for a dive specific holiday would not even consider Thailand, let  alone the Eastern Gulf.
Am at Koh Kood now. Water looks nice from the balcony and yesterday when swimming was nice and clear. If he is looking to do his open water course I don't think he wants more than basic.

5 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

Am at Koh Kood now. Water looks nice from the balcony and yesterday when swimming was nice and clear. If he is looking to do his open water course I don't think he wants more than basic.

Weather is always unpredictable and clearly will not be bad every day. But rainfall levels this time of year in the Koh Chang archipelago are statistically some of the largest anywhere in Thailand, and for that reason and the unpredictable nature of the weather, it was not so many years ago when virtually all of the dive shops closed in May and re opened again around October / November. I have been there countless times and seen when I have been stuck in my accommodation for days on end with no electricity due to incessant rain, then subsequently you go diving and the visibility can be reduced to virtually nothing. Anyone going for their holiday at this time of year is taking that risk. Diving anywhere in the Gulf of Thailand is really not that great, regardless of seasons and conditions South Thailand on the Andaman coast is by far the best Thailand has to offer.

Edited by Kim J

HI Kim, just wondered what you diving expertise is that qualifies you to rubbish Pattaya???

For myself...

PADI MSD

Over 300 dives Pattaya and Samae San/Hard Deep.

Dived a lot in the UK.

Also dived Phuket  and Samui/Kho Tao. 

Edited by Basil B

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

HI Kim, just wondered what you diving expertise is that qualifies you to rubbish Pattaya???

For myself...

PADI MSD

Over 300 dives Pattaya and Samae San/Hard Deep.

Dived a lot in the UK.

Also dived Phuket  and Samui/Kho Tao. 

Firstly I fail to see where I have "rubbished Pattaya"? But since you mention it Pattaya is almost certainly the bottom of the pile of dive locations in Thailand. In my mind it would never attract attention for a dive specific holiday, but someone who is here for other reasons it is something of worth to do in the daytime.

My own experience in diving started 36 years ago at the age of 19 when I joined my local BSAC club and have dived on a regular basis ever since, having well over 2000 logged dives and can easily lay claim to more than double that number.

Whilst in BSAC I reached advanced diver status. (Please do not confuse this, as so many do with the PADI 'advanced ' course)

Since my BSAC days I migrated to cave diving and have extensive experience of diving limestone caves in and around North Derbyshire, plus other locations.

I then became involved with a group of Tec divers, my training level  went up to Tec Trimix and have done dives to over 80m, including exploratory dives assisting English Heritage and the Nautical Archaeology Society. I am one of only a handful of divers that has ever seen parts of the WW2 plane wreck in Wastwater.

Apart from the UK I have dived extensively in Thailand and other locations around Asia such as Sipadan, Philippines, Indonesia, the Red Sea and the Galapagos Islands.

I still dive quite regularly now, but not so much as when I was younger, and never in Pattaya anymore despite being a keen diver and it being only a few minutes drive from me. Why is that I wonder?

I shall not bore you with the commercial side of my diving years ago when I was doing NDT.

Edited by Kim J
  • Like 1