Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 17 December 2018 11:38
webfact

Palestinian stabs U.S.-Israeli citizen to death at West Bank mall

Palestinian stabs U.S.-Israeli citizen to death at West Bank mall

2018-09-16T140413Z_2_LYNXNPEE8F0AY_RTROPTP_4_ISRAEL-PALESTINIANS-VIOLENCE.JPG

Blood-stained clothes and a bullet hole in a glass panel are seen at the scene of a stabbing attack near a mall in the Gush Etzion Junction in the occupied West Bank, September 16, 2018. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

GUSH ETZION, West Bank (Reuters) - A Palestinian fatally stabbed an American-born Jewish settler in the occupied West Bank on Sunday then was himself shot and seized by armed civilians who gave chase.

The victim, Ari Fuld, 45, was well-known amongst settlers as a pro-Israel advocate. According to his Twitter account, he had planned a lecture tour in the United States in November.

Israeli police said the Palestinian who stabbed him in the back at a shopping mall in the Etzion bloc of Jewish settlements south of Jerusalem was shot and wounded by one of several armed civilians - including a bleeding Fuld - who gave chase.

The suspected assailant was identified by his family as Khalil Youssef Jabarin, 17, from the village of Yatta in the southern West Bank. He was taken into custody.

Palestinian street attacks against Israelis, many carried out by assailants with no known affiliation to militant groups, have been sporadic since 2015, a year after peace talks collapsed.

Hundreds of mourners attended Fuld's funeral, which began close to midnight at a cemetery at the Kfar Etzion settlement in the West Bank.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu paid a condolence visit to Fuld's family and wrote on Twitter: "I embraced them on behalf of all the people of Israel during their time of terrible sorrow. We live because of heroes like Ari, We will remember him, always."

Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas made what appeared to be an indirect reference to the killing while meeting former Israeli officials in Ramallah, the official Palestinian Wafa news agency said.

"Abbas reaffirmed the commitment of the Palestinian side to achieving peace through peaceful, popular resistance, because killing, settlement building, destruction and displacing of residents will not achieve security and peace for any party in the region," Wafa quoted him as saying.

Fawzi Barhoum, a spokesman for the Hamas militant group that rules the Gaza Strip, called the West Bank stabbing a "natural response to Israeli crimes against Palestinians" in occupied territory. It did not claim responsibility for the attack.

David Friedman, the U.S. ambassador to Israel, said on Twitter that "America grieves as one of its citizens was brutally murdered by a Palestinian terrorist."

Friedman, who as a private citizen raised money for Jewish settlements, said Fuld "represented the best of both countries and will be deeply missed". Fuld, a father of four, lived in the settlement of Efrat, in the Etzion area.

U.S. President Donald Trump's Middle East negotiator Jason Greenblatt also issued a comment, on Twitter: "Words cannot express our feeling of loss as an American-Israeli, Ari Fuld, was stabbed to death by a Palestinian terrorist."

Most countries view Israeli settlements, on occupied land Palestinians claim for a state as illegal. Israel disputes this.

(Additional reporting by Ali Sawafta in Ramallah; wWriting by Dan Williams, Jeffrey Heller and Ori Lewis; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-17

Assailant's family tried to notify/warn both PA and Israeli security forces...

Terrorist’s parents say they alerted PA, Israel before deadly stabbing of Fuld

https://www.timesofisrael.com/terrorists-parents-say-they-alerted-pa-israel-before-deadly-stabbing/

Israeli-American Man, 40, Killed in Stabbing Attack at West Bank Mall

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/two-wounded-in-west-bank-shooting-background-under-investigation-1.6472581

• Like 2

This is why treating the Palestine people with what some whiners see as a heavy head is not a strong 

enough approach.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

My uncle was a chicken farmer in Pennsylvania.  One day when I was a young teen, he was showing me the huge cauldron of chicken manure that sat in the barn, waiting for it to "mature" so it could be used as fertilizer.  I wondered why such a huge vat of excrement didn't stink, and he said "just wait till I stir it!"  With that, he picked up a stick and plunged it into the vat, stirring it vigorously.  "Just watch all the farm hands get annoyed and complain as I do this", he said with an evil grin.  Sure enough, after a few moments people started to notice the foul stench and began to complain.

That's what this discussion is doing - stirring the pot.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

This is why treating the Palestine people with what some whiners see as a heavy head is not a strong 

enough approach.

I guess you would prefer to kill them all or what?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If the Israelis (in general) wouldn't treat the Palestinians like $#it then maybe the Palestinians wouldn't fight back.

The word should unite against Israel and it's racist politics. But then again POTUS, one of the biggest racists, is on their side.

The Palestinian grievances are not an excuse for murder nor is this cowardly murder of an innocent civilian any help

to addressing Palestinian grievances.

Like all violence committed against civilians in this ongoing conflict, each killing entrenches the hatred and suspicion and must be roundly condemned by all who wish to see a peaceful end to the conflict.

Another pointless killing, another life wasted another family grieving.

There is no justification for such viciousness, it is the very idea that justification exists that perpetuates the killing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, attrayant said:

My uncle was a chicken farmer in Pennsylvania.  One day when I was a young teen, he was showing me the huge cauldron of chicken manure that sat in the barn, waiting for it to "mature" so it could be used as fertilizer.  I wondered why such a huge vat of excrement didn't stink, and he said "just wait till I stir it!"  With that, he picked up a stick and plunged it into the vat, stirring it vigorously.  "Just watch all the farm hands get annoyed and complain as I do this", he said with an evil grin.  Sure enough, after a few moments people started to notice the foul stench and began to complain.

That's what this discussion is doing - stirring the pot.

Well some of it is for sure.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Look at the facts. Israel treats Palestinians like $#it and they get away with it. Other countries who treat part of their people like that get condemned from lots of countries all over the world. If someone would describe this in terms of Country A is doing this to people B then the world would be united that such behavior is unacceptable and the country must be punished. But as soon as it's clear that County A is not Country A but Israel then it seems almost everybody is scared to say something against them.

I think it would be nice if Palestinians and Israelis and surrounding countries would live in peace together. But settling in on other people's land, pushing them out of their existing homes and treating them in many other ways like hated prisoners does not help peace.

International reactions to many things perceived as wrong doesn't conform to your description. Or, at least, the reaction often remains on the level of condemnation, rather than taking effective form. If you need obvious examples for such - China is a good one, but there are others - including many of Israel's neighbors. So your "unity" fantasies are just that - unreal, or referencing how you feel things are ought to be.

And obviously, Israel does get internationally criticized on a regular basis - so "scared to say something against them" is of the same variety as the nonsense above.

Your one-sided point of view ignores that the other party to the conflict is no angle, and that it doesn't quite uphold the same kumbaya notions you seem to support.

I agree that Israel's treatment of the Palestinian is bad, and unhelpful. Where we differ is in seeing it as the only aspect, or even the main one.

• Like 2