BANGKOK 16 October 2018 17:56
Old Fool

Should i buy my fiancee's apartment?

I'm at Luang Prabang airport now and getting ready to fly my fiancee home to USA from Bangkok.

Her Bangkok mortgaged apartment has about 300,000 baht to pay it off which is probably 90%+ left on the mortgage.

I told her I would buy it for her daughter to live.

I'm worried that I may get into a mess by buying instead of paying the 3000 baht per month payments. I'm not concerned about the 300,000 baht so much, just don't want to get screwed over.

Any suggestions?

As always, thanks.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you want to buy it only do this if it will be in your name then.

If it stays in her name it's a good idea that you just pay the monthly payments while you are together

And of course for you to buy it must have a foreign quota and/or some unused foreign quota allocation

• Like 2

So many mean and cynical replies.....?

From what you say I would assume this type of apartment cannot be owned by a foreigner - anyway I suspect you don't want to own it.

The only way you can be sure the money goes to the right place is to hand it over yourself, or get a lawyer you trust to handle it for you.

I agree 300,000 isn't a huge amount of money, so you haven't got a lifes savings to lose here. But if you're frightened of being taken advantage of so early in a new relationship.....

Good luck.

• Like 2

Iy you cannot register it in your name, hands off.

Better gamble in Vegas with the $, the chance of winning is higher than having any return form the condo, if not legally yours.

10 minutes ago, catman20 said:

if she is your fiancee  and your into her, pay it off for her as a gift as you say, your not worried and it and its not a fortune. dont listen to all the cheap charlie, bitter TV members here that have been ripped off by the hookers.do something nice.

I'm sure most farangs that have been hoodwinked by Thai women (doesn't have to be hookers) didn't think "Oh, I am being a fool here, but not alot of money so that's okay".

Is she in a rush for you to do this before you are married? That would be red flag, as you would have difficult time getting anything back in case of divorce. Who brought this subject up? Not greatest question as we can be "steered" towards certain considerations.

The amount of money is less important to me than the possibility I am being manipulated and/or used. 

If this passes the sniff test, then do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The smart money would say make the monthly payments at minimum or take ownership of the condo. 

I am assuming it's a condo not an apartment, since there is a mortgage. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deli said:

Iy you cannot register it in your name, hands off.

Better gamble in Vegas with the $, the chance of winning is higher than having any return form the condo, if not legally yours.

hes not looking for a return hes trying to do something nice

• Like 2