BANGKOK 20 October 2018 04:33
webfact

Landlord criticized after tenant leaves room clean and tidy and faces 17,000 baht "fine"

Landlord criticized after tenant leaves room clean and tidy and faces 17,000 baht "fine"

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai social media comment was rife after a tenant posted her story online claiming she was ripped off by an unscrupulous landlord. 

Piyaparn Ojumnian, 27, has gone to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board for help. 

She said that with her husband they rented a condo in the Suthisan area of Bangkok after inquiring if pets were allowed to be kept there.

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

She said the rent was paid in full for over a year until they decided to move. 

They left the room clean and tidy and gave notice but were slapped with 17,240 baht in charges. 

The owner said they needed to pay for lights, curtains, paint, cushions, sink, bed and a whopping 9,000 baht for the floor. There was also a cleaning charge. 

The owner said they were keeping the 15,000 baht bond and the renters would have to pay extra for what was owing. 

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-25
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Piyaparn Ojumnian, 27, has gone to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board for help.

where is the 'so what?' here ? what does that office do and what possible outcomes and penalties are involved ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I can guess what ethnic group this landlord belongs to....

Well do state what ethnic group he belongs too .

I want to tell a story about my own personal experiences with people from that ethnic group and then we can all agree about how terrible they are 

Edited by sanemax
addition
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Well do state what ethnic abuse he belongs too .

That would be against forum rules.

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

That would be against forum rules.

Everyones waiting to post a *I had a Thai/Chinese/Indian/Pakistani/British/Muslim Landlord once and he blah blah blah *

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Landlords will continue to do this until they impose stiff penalties (10x damages) for unreasonably withholding security deposits.  As it stands, there is absolutely zero incentive for a landlord to return a deposit as the tenant's only remedy is to file a lawsuit, which only provides for return of the deposit and court costs as damages.

I thought they just passed a law 6 months ago?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

where is the 'so what?' here ? what does that office do and what possible outcomes and penalties are involved ?

The Office of Consumer Protection is concerned with protecting consumers, and they can start legal proceedings if they find that consumer law has been breached, I expect you can find a similar authority in your own country.

Penalties?  They are trying to recover their deposit, the penalty to the landlord would be having to give it back.

Edited by Kieran00001
  • Like 1