BANGKOK 19 October 2018 14:08
RichardThailand

Are there any British people out there who could comment on how easy it is to get residency in an EU country?

On 10/4/2018 at 2:31 PM, 7by7 said:

Which raises another question; what will happen to the common travel area between the UK and RoI post Brexit?

Bearing in mind that the RoI did not join Schengen because the UK didn't and the RoI wanted to maintain the CTA.

The CTA will stay. It preceded the EU so was grandfathered in. It will stay post Brexit. 

Furthermore, the UK and Ireland don’t consider each other’s citizens as ‘foreigners’ and as such, are exempt from immigration control separately to EU rules.

A quirk of this has meant that Irish citizenships are eligible to vote, and run for British parliament but other EU citizens aren’t. They also can work in the civil service. 

Post brexit, this won’t change. So Ireland will probably be your back door entry into the EU after paying your dues being resident there for 5 years.

Personally Id set up shop somewhere warmer while the rules are still there for you. But if you like the cold, or still not on the position to, then Ireland will still be your path. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, samran said:

The CTA will stay. It preceded the EU so was grandfathered in. It will stay post Brexit. 

Furthermore, the UK and Ireland don’t consider each other’s citizens as ‘foreigners’ and as such, are exempt from immigration control separately to EU rules.

A quirk of this has meant that Irish citizenships are eligible to vote, and run for British parliament but other EU citizens aren’t. They also can work in the civil service. 

Post brexit, this won’t change. So Ireland will probably be your back door entry into the EU after paying your dues being resident there for 5 years.

Personally Id set up shop somewhere warmer while the rules are still there for you. But if you like the cold, or still not on the position to, then Ireland will still be your path. 

Can you clarify what you mean by the "The CTA will stay".  As a UK citizen I would like to have the chance to rent a house in Europe and to possibly live there for 4-6 months a year.  Do you think post Brexit that this will become more difficult / impossible?  

On 10/3/2018 at 2:30 AM, RichardThailand said:

I am thinking it may become a lot more difficult after Brexit.  Has anyone looked into getting residency before Brekit and into which countries are easier?  Also interested to hear what people think will happen after Brexit.  When do you think it might start to get more difficult for British Citizens to move to the EU countries and what do you think will happen after Brexit 

It depends on what you mean by residency...

> work permits never have been and never will be an issue for people with appropriate qualifications and experience

> without work permits residency for wealthy people is rarely an issue, but the qualifying criteria will vary from country to country

> the post Brexit situation hasn't been confirmed so anything said about that is speculation.

• Like 1

Richard, I forgot to add: you will continue to be able to live and work in Ireland under the CTA - there are no plans to change this. But if balmy climate is what you want, Ireland may not be your cup of tea, and a pint of Guinness is now the same price as a bottle of plonk (so I'm told). But the Craic's legendary.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:30 AM, RichardThailand said:

Also interested to hear what people think will happen after Brexit.  When do you think it might start to get more difficult for British Citizens to move to the EU countries and what do you think will happen after Brexit 

We Norwegians, and also Iceland never been a member of EU , but thanks to the EEC agreement we can travel , live and work in any EU country .  

So I would think that Theresa May will look to Norway on how to handle this.  

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RichardThailand said:

Can you clarify what you mean by the "The CTA will stay".  As a UK citizen I would like to have the chance to rent a house in Europe and to possibly live there for 4-6 months a year.  Do you think post Brexit that this will become more difficult / impossible?  

CTA is the ‘Common Travel Area’. It is a pre-EU agreement between the UK and Ireland which allows free moment of its respective citizens between the two countries.

That will stay.

Given that the UK is looking to leave the EU, then it probably means that free movement between the UK and the rest of the EU is going to become a thing of the past. 

Your best way to assess how easy it will be to live in each of the European countries (ex Ireland) will be probably to see what the deal is for other non EU nationals to live there. See what rules may apply to Americans, Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis for instance to live in those countries. 

For the most part, being an Aussie myself, you get at most 3 months visa free without the need to apply for some cumbersome visa.

My sister who lived in France for a decade says they love their bureaucracy. Probably worse than Thailand there for foreigners in terms of paperwork. 

I suspect as a newly minted non-EU Brit you are going to have to deal with the same as the rest of us plebs come May next year. 

19 hours ago, balo said:

We Norwegians, and also Iceland never been a member of EU , but thanks to the EEC agreement we can travel , live and work in any EU country .  

So I would think that Theresa May will look to Norway on how to handle this.  

This has been suggested by some, but rejected by many.

Per head Norway contributes more to the EU budget than the UK, but as you are not an EU member you have no say over how that money is spent.

As an EEA member you are bound by all the rules, regulations and laws of the EU, but have no say in the making of those rules, regulations or laws.

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Per head Norway contributes more to the EU budget than the UK, but as you are not an EU member you have no say over how that money is spent.

As an EEA member you are bound by all the rules, regulations and laws of the EU, but have no say in the making of those rules, regulations or laws.

I agree that Norway contribute a lot, but you are wrong in saying Norway have no influence. When it comes to rules and regulations in Norway , they can vote over it and get permission to change certain rules inside of Norway.

It goes both ways , you give and you take, and I am sure Britain can do the same. In my opinion EU is not going to last for a long time.  But we will still communicate and do trade deals.

There is a reason why our foreign minister and PM visits Brussel several times per year. 

Edited by balo

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

this is very rough and partly incorrect

anyway, strongly hope I  will never see UK in EFTA