Jump to content
Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 December 2018 18:51
webfact

"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

Recommended Posts

On 10/14/2018 at 1:22 AM, inThailand said:

If they can't get they necessary paperwork to continue their visa, doesn't this mean we will be seeing an increase of illegals or overstayers? For nothing is worse than returning to their home country. 

This is was an interesting statement. 

 

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

 

In SEA..Philippines.. Eastern Europe.. Bulgaria. Spain. Mexico. Also a few countries in Central and SOUTH America. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

Yeah, that's true. The problem is for those guys who've built up committments here. Personally, I think you should always be able to walk away. It's the sunk cost fallacy. Started my life over again more than once. It has to be admitted though, it gets harder as you get older. Still, new horizons beckon, reminds me of a poem -

 

"We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are, -

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 1:00 AM, SheungWan said:

Why would someone choose to stay without a visa rather than use an agent?

Because, there's a crackdown going on against such "agents".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

There are "not plenty of options" if you are married to a Thai, and have a Thai family

Well there is always the option of taking the family home.

 

I moved back, my adult son, who was already a US citizen had already moved to the US, so my wife wanted to be close to him. My wife had lived in the US when she was at college, so we’re probably atypical.

 

But check out Mobi’s blog, he seemed to successfully move his wife and stepdaughter back to the UK, and seems to be thriving, without his stepdaughter speaking English, or as far as I can tell his wife ever being out of Thailand before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Because, there's a crackdown going on against such "agents".

Far as I know the crackdown seems to be on those falsifying documents. Though I am sure that they will crackdown on the other agents one day - or threaten to.

 

Some agents I know have been  saying everything is OK this year, but they are unsure on next year.

 

50-60% of those I know use the agents, most have no-where else to go. Their pension whilst survivable in Thailand - even with Thai family - is nowhere near enough to survive in the Uk or get any housing. 

 

This threatening of agent use  will just mean they overstay in big numbers - since in reality they have nowhere else to go - and a few thousand baht room here is better than the streets of the UK. It will not matter to them if they overstay 20 days or 20 years, since the end result of a box on the streets in the UK is a likely scenario.

 

Add to this the Thai family will be pretty much potless, and no miney for education. It's all very well getting rid of the low income people, but when it means 3 or 4 thai people falling into severe poverty is it worth it ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2009 I got my first Thai VISA from the UK as an over 50 person for 1 year (90 day ME) to visit Thaland for 120GBP.

All they wanted was my passport, application form, a photo and the cash.

 

The 'easy ride' stopped shortly after that, and if I hadn't already impregnated and married, I probably wouldn't have stayed any longer. Vietnam, the Philippines and (Cambodia) actually seem to want us living there, Thailand only wants Asians now.

 

If it wasn't for my son, I wouldn't have come back.

Edited by BritManToo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Because, there's a crackdown going on against such "agents".

Right now? I don't think so. That would certainly come as news to the people I know using such services. I will however, ask them any more updates when I am back in town next month.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

In 2009 I got my first Thai VISA from the UK as an over 50 person for 1 year (90 day ME) to visit Thaland for 120GBP.

All they wanted was my passport, application form, a photo and the cash.

The 'easy ride' stopped shortly after that, and if I hadn't already impregnated and married, I probably wouldn't have stayed any longer. Vietnam, the Philippines and (Cambodia) actually seem to want us living there, Thailand only wants Asians now.

If it wasn't for my son, I wouldn't have come back.

I think most people would. And do! its all mostly over-reaction from some quarters. Really!

Edited by SheungWan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well there is always the option of taking the family home.

I moved back, my adult son, who was already a US citizen had already moved to the US, so my wife wanted to be close to him. My wife had lived in the US when she was at college, so we’re probably atypical.

But check out Mobi’s blog, he seemed to successfully move his wife and stepdaughter back to the UK, and seems to be thriving, without his stepdaughter speaking English, or as far as I can tell his wife ever being out of Thailand before

That option is there from the beginning for those who have the resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

This is was an interesting statement. 

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

In SEA..Philippines.. Eastern Europe.. Bulgaria. Spain. Mexico. Also a few countries in Central and SOUTH America.

I know one guy in Pattaya who is always ready to tell us how wonderful and cheap the Ukraine is to live. So when are you moving? I prod him each time. Empty talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

This is was an interesting statement. 

 

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

 

In SEA..Philippines.. Eastern Europe.. Bulgaria. Spain. Mexico. Also a few countries in Central and SOUTH America. 

 

 

More than a few countries in Latin America, etc. that are viable to move to visa-wise and cost-wise for many.

Including Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belize (English speaking), Guatemala, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, possibly Argentina, and Chile. Not even a complete list but I intentionally left out Nicaragua due to violent unrest. Not sure about Cuba as I'm American and haven't even checked their rules. 

Edited by Jingthing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well there is always the option of taking the family home.

 

I moved back, my adult son, who was already a US citizen had already moved to the US, so my wife wanted to be close to him. My wife had lived in the US when she was at college, so we’re probably atypical.

 

But check out Mobi’s blog, he seemed to successfully move his wife and stepdaughter back to the UK, and seems to be thriving, without his stepdaughter speaking English, or as far as I can tell his wife ever being out of Thailand before

Not an option if you do not meet the income limits required to settle your wife and family in the UK as many people I know here don't

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Not an option if you do not meet the income limits required to settle your wife and family in the UK as many people I know here don't

When you say income limits do you mean for visas presumably for non British citizens.

 

If everyone has British citizenship you would just go back without worrying about the limits but obviously we need enough to

money to get by.

 

My my this topic is certainly getting some postings!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×