Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 December 2018 18:51
webfact

"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

On 10/14/2018 at 1:22 AM, inThailand said:

If they can't get they necessary paperwork to continue their visa, doesn't this mean we will be seeing an increase of illegals or overstayers? For nothing is worse than returning to their home country. 

This is was an interesting statement. 

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

In SEA..Philippines.. Eastern Europe.. Bulgaria. Spain. Mexico. Also a few countries in Central and SOUTH America. 

21 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

There are plenty of other options beyond Thailand and beyond returning to a Home country. 

Yeah, that's true. The problem is for those guys who've built up committments here. Personally, I think you should always be able to walk away. It's the sunk cost fallacy. Started my life over again more than once. It has to be admitted though, it gets harder as you get older. Still, new horizons beckon, reminds me of a poem -

"We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are, -

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

On 10/14/2018 at 1:00 AM, SheungWan said:

Why would someone choose to stay without a visa rather than use an agent?

Because, there's a crackdown going on against such "agents".

42 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

There are "not plenty of options" if you are married to a Thai, and have a Thai family

Well there is always the option of taking the family home.

I moved back, my adult son, who was already a US citizen had already moved to the US, so my wife wanted to be close to him. My wife had lived in the US when she was at college, so we’re probably atypical.

But check out Mobi’s blog, he seemed to successfully move his wife and stepdaughter back to the UK, and seems to be thriving, without his stepdaughter speaking English, or as far as I can tell his wife ever being out of Thailand before

44 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Far as I know the crackdown seems to be on those falsifying documents. Though I am sure that they will crackdown on the other agents one day - or threaten to.

Some agents I know have been  saying everything is OK this year, but they are unsure on next year.

50-60% of those I know use the agents, most have no-where else to go. Their pension whilst survivable in Thailand - even with Thai family - is nowhere near enough to survive in the Uk or get any housing. 

This threatening of agent use  will just mean they overstay in big numbers - since in reality they have nowhere else to go - and a few thousand baht room here is better than the streets of the UK. It will not matter to them if they overstay 20 days or 20 years, since the end result of a box on the streets in the UK is a likely scenario.

Add to this the Thai family will be pretty much potless, and no miney for education. It's all very well getting rid of the low income people, but when it means 3 or 4 thai people falling into severe poverty is it worth it ? 

• Like 1

In 2009 I got my first Thai VISA from the UK as an over 50 person for 1 year (90 day ME) to visit Thaland for 120GBP.

All they wanted was my passport, application form, a photo and the cash.

The 'easy ride' stopped shortly after that, and if I hadn't already impregnated and married, I probably wouldn't have stayed any longer. Vietnam, the Philippines and (Cambodia) actually seem to want us living there, Thailand only wants Asians now.

If it wasn't for my son, I wouldn't have come back.

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Right now? I don't think so. That would certainly come as news to the people I know using such services. I will however, ask them any more updates when I am back in town next month.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

In 2009 I got my first Thai VISA from the UK as an over 50 person for 1 year (90 day ME) to visit Thaland for 120GBP.

All they wanted was my passport, application form, a photo and the cash.

The 'easy ride' stopped shortly after that, and if I hadn't already impregnated and married, I probably wouldn't have stayed any longer. Vietnam, the Philippines and (Cambodia) actually seem to want us living there, Thailand only wants Asians now.

If it wasn't for my son, I wouldn't have come back.

I think most people would. And do! its all mostly over-reaction from some quarters. Really!

Edited by SheungWan

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I moved back, my adult son, who was already a US citizen had already moved to the US, so my wife wanted to be close to him. My wife had lived in the US when she was at college, so we’re probably atypical.

But check out Mobi’s blog, he seemed to successfully move his wife and stepdaughter back to the UK, and seems to be thriving, without his stepdaughter speaking English, or as far as I can tell his wife ever being out of Thailand before

That option is there from the beginning for those who have the resources.

4 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

In SEA..Philippines.. Eastern Europe.. Bulgaria. Spain. Mexico. Also a few countries in Central and SOUTH America.

I know one guy in Pattaya who is always ready to tell us how wonderful and cheap the Ukraine is to live. So when are you moving? I prod him each time. Empty talk.

5 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

More than a few countries in Latin America, etc. that are viable to move to visa-wise and cost-wise for many.

Including Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belize (English speaking), Guatemala, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, possibly Argentina, and Chile. Not even a complete list but I intentionally left out Nicaragua due to violent unrest. Not sure about Cuba as I'm American and haven't even checked their rules. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Not an option if you do not meet the income limits required to settle your wife and family in the UK as many people I know here don't

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Not an option if you do not meet the income limits required to settle your wife and family in the UK as many people I know here don't

When you say income limits do you mean for visas presumably for non British citizens.

If everyone has British citizenship you would just go back without worrying about the limits but obviously we need enough to

money to get by.

My my this topic is certainly getting some postings!!!