BANGKOK 17 October 2018 14:20
puukao

Has Chiang Mai changed since late-2016?

Yes, only two years.  I've heard apartment prices have gone up a few thousand baht a month, and just curious if that is true.  I know, it's not "life-changing" money, but curious.  I guess that's my main question, and hopefully someone will tell me the pollution is worse, traffic worse, food more expensive, and not bother coming........55555

don't worry, i plan on bringing 10,000 of my closet backpackers.......the richest has 109 baht to his name.  

cons:

More traffic jam 

food prices have gone up,

tourists have increased,

immigration queues have gone from bad to worse,

pros:

there is a public bus alternative now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

cons:

More traffic jam 

tourists have increased,

pros:

sounds about right....chinese have invaded

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

sounds about right....chinese have invaded

Don't know if you have been following the news numbers of Chinese visitors are down dramatically. Up to 40 to 50% some sources quoted compared to last year. If you walk around in the old town you hardly see any of them   

• Like 1

People want more money for condos but ... their is a hotel and condo glut in this town. They now depend on increasing numbers of Chinese visiting. Hope it all pans out, a lot of hotel owners and TAT people seem desperate and depressed though. Go figure what that means.

Just this week.

A crisis meeting of tourism operators at a downtown hotel heard that Chinese tourism to Chiang Mai was down by half in the first three quarters of 2018. 

A series of measures were proposed to woo them back - including setting up Chinese language classes to avoid misunderstandings. 

uh oh

Edited by LomSak27

16 hours ago, Thailand said:

Come and check it out,again. 😎

Fortunately the Chiang Mai Preservation Society have been hard at work. Chiang Mai has been frozen in time by a new mystic patented process. We can guarantee the city is exactly the same as it was 2016. Not even a new blade of grass. Welcome. 

• Like 1

Except for more chinese and yes down a bit but this is low season at present. My rent is the same as 2 years ago. The townhouse next to me has been empty for more than 6 months. Really in my little slice of Chiang Mai not much has changed.

Everything goes a bit in two years that's normal basic economics. There does seem to be a lack of tourists of all types at this time and it is more noticable, at least to me. I would love to think that this stay the same and Chiang Mai will be the quiet, quaint place I enjoy living in.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

does not seem to have changed much to me. and it is low season now which always looks sorrowful for tourist oriented places. but yes it does seem that properties for rent or  sale are higher with not many comprimising and plenty available. a buyers markett with no advantage for the buyer.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, johnoko said:

Don't know if you have been following the news numbers of Chinese visitors are down dramatically. Up to 40 to 50% some sources quoted compared to last year. If you walk around in the old town you hardly see any of them   

Always nice to read a good news post...:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apart from prices, old CM hasn't changed a great deal since 1978, let alone 2016

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

cons:

More traffic jam 

tourists have increased,

pros:

Move to Lamphun.

Pros:
No traffic jams.

Buy from the many local markets and the food price 'increases' become inconsequential.
Not a tourist hot-spot other than Wat Phra That Hariphunchai
No Immigration queues

Public transport from downtown to Chiang Mai easily available

Cons:
It ain't Chiang Mai - however, imho that could also be a 'Pro'.  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda
  • Like 2