BANGKOK 17 October 2018 14:03
webfact

Video: Women survive as innocent Suzuki totaled at Surat Thani intersection

22 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

That would be my guess as well. The driver of the delivery truck got spooked by Suzuki car pulling too close to the intersection. While at the same time having no where to go if she pulled in any further (and we all know that many drivers here will enter the road without looking). So the driver panics, stomps the brakes and loses control due bad load balance or high a center of gravity.

So the Suzuki didn't enter the road, but she may very well have been a major contributor to the crash.

Bad load balance and centre of gravity is spot on. It's almost like pickups aren't designed for it and the manufacturer tells you repeatedly. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

One reason after my last long trip,i vowed never again to drive anywhere but local,not so bad around my way save for the idiot teenage boys with loud exhausts.

You could always blame the malfunctioning brakes....

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

So you are blaming the suzuki driver for the pickup drivers stupidity.

Words fail me.

99% of junctions here have something blocking drivers view, so drivers have to move forward to see.

No, I am blaming both.

• Confused 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:18 PM, wirat69 said:

Yes, the pickup looks like it was on an undertaking manoeuvre!!

Or attempting to undertake a motorbike on the motorbike lane? TIT, don't forget..

On 10/12/2018 at 10:16 AM, kannot said:

Its not single lane road  its dual carriageway separated by ditch, another  lorry was being  passed by another in that outer  lane,   white vehicle in the second lane in the video, there was  no need for "spas van" to undertake  he could have done it in the second lane. Dont know about Thailand but overtaking at any junction is  not allowed as well as undertaking in the UK apart from slower  stationary traffic or in one way roads

As many have said though often you have to pass the stop line as you simply  cannot see whats coming due to parked morons in the "bike lane".

Tomorrow  spasman will be out doing EXACTLY the same his reasoning being just bad  luck + the bonus of Buddha  take  care as he isnt dead. Double "miracle" .........unfortunately.

Never  forget Thailand, hub of uneducated morons.

Agreed. 'not a single lane road'.   It is the ÁH2', is dual carriageway both directions, along with a bike lane. There is a long sweeping right curve about 100-150 mtr up the road. If one stops at the 'white' line, the view of the oncoming traffic on the AH2 is obstructed by a street sign and vegetation. . I am guessing that due to speed and complete lack of driving prowess, spasman had already compromised himself on that curve, resulting in the carnage that HE created.     Regards GBW

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 8:42 PM, toofarnorth said:

I don't know about this junction but there are many where if you stop on the line you can't see anything up the road coming towards you. Looking at the road here the black bit is the main road she went forward to get a view of what might be coming , there my 25 Satang's worth.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. Same is true the world over...at STOP signs...red lights where it is permitted to turn on RED...everywhere.

Those here who act like they always stop behind the line and stay there...without ever encroaching...are either lying or baiting. Everyone does what the driver of the Suzuki did. Everyone.

Side note: since when has a painted road line or sign...such as STOP or ONE WAY...or zebra crosswalk lines...ever meant anything here??? :coffee1:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Those here who act like they always stop behind the line and stay there...without ever encroaching...are either lying or baiting. Everyone does what the driver of the Suzuki did. Everyone.

Its the "way" she went across it that matters  more, there was no hesitation at all.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kannot said:

Its the "way" she went across it that matters  more, there was no hesitation at all.

I understand the technical point, but still totally disagree. Unless taking one's physical driving exam...everyone does it. Doesn't make it right, but it is accepted the world over. She is clearly still off the crossroad that she is going to turn on to...AND by the looks of it, traffic is already 2 deep, while the idiot driving the pickup was trying to make 2 lanes into 3 as evidenced by the white vehicle on the inside lane, beside, the tractor-trailer truck that goes by immediately afterward. Thais always try to make 1 lane = 2 and 2 lanes = 3 (or more) and not usually done with caution either. :post-4641-1156693976:

Bottom line...she is off the crossroad and not doing anything reckless. The white Suzuki did not cause this crash. The reckless idiot speeding, while trying to make an extra lane of the shoulder or the grass is the only one at fault.  

• Like 1