BANGKOK 19 October 2018 19:08
rooster59

Residents warned to take preventative measures against stroke

Residents warned to take preventative measures against stroke

Nuppol Suvansombut

PNSOC611012001003101.jpg

BANGKOK, 12th October 2018, (NNT) - Medical officials from Chulalongkorn Hospital have urged residents to take preventative measures against stroke by exercising regularly, following a healthy diet and being in a happy mood. 

The advice came during a recent seminar on the disease, marking the World Stroke Day on October 29th. Dr. Nijasri Charnnarong , the head of the Chulalongkorn Stroke Center, informed citizens that mini-strokes and strokes are responsible for a large number of deaths nowadays. She said the two variations of stroke are caused by an age factor, hypertension, diabetes, smoking, being overweight, and palpitations. These illnesses and irregularities can form a blood clot in one of the arteries that supply blood to the brain, reducing or blocking the blood flow. In a severe case, the clot could sever the arteries causing brain damage. 

Key symptoms of strokes include numbness in the face, paralysis in either left or right side limbs, being unable to speak clearly, mouth deformation, acute headaches, sudden dizziness, blurry or double vision, one eye blindness and being unable to stand upright. Patients are at risk of death or developing permanent impairments if not receiving treatment within four hours. 

Dr. Nijasri said that the best preventative measures against both variations of stroke are exercising regularly, consuming healthy food, and staying in a happy mood.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-13

There seems to be adequate proof that a daily low dose of aspirin can prevent stroke.

I found one site with photos of many shelves of many different brands and strengths, obviously in a US pharmacy. I've never seen so many brands / strengths and here is LOS never seen a pharmacy with such a large range of aspirin.

I've just been surfing for suitable brand names which would be available in LOS but no clear answers.

Can any TV medics please comment or suggest a couple of suitable products. Thanks.

Edited by scorecard

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Unfortunately, a new study appeared in the Australian media which concluded aspirin had a negligible effect on stroke prevention. Sorry, can't find the link.

Confusing, my hospital doctor in CM just recommended it a few days ago but I forgot to ask about what brand etc. 

Two old ladies sat on the beach.

A streaker ran past.

One had a stroke .... the other couldn't reach.

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Confusing, my hospital doctor in CM just recommended it a few days ago but I forgot to ask about what brand etc. 

The brand is immaterial. All aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid.

I don't know how long it takes Thai doctors to catch up with the latest Western research. Or whether they adopt it quickly.

28 minutes ago, Stocky said:

The recent study I think you are alluding to is the Monash University of Melbourne study that found no overall benefit for those over 70. However, daily low dose aspirin is still shown to be of benefit to adults aged 50 to 70 in reducing stroke risk, though it should be remembered there are dangers in taking aspirin, it can cause internal bleeding.

The one I take I buy at my local pharmacy, labelled 'Aspent-M 81mg' comes in containers of 60 tablets, costs Bht50.

The very latest research indicates that aspirin is weight -related. Persons over 70 kg need a higher dose than the normal 81 g. Research indicated that it was effective in reducing strokes. Previous research was based on 81 g of aspirin. But it did not take into account the person's weight.

• Like 1

Also easy to find is “Cardiprin 100 mg”

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gamini said:

The very latest research indicates that aspirin is weight -related. Persons over 70 kg need a higher dose than the normal 81 g. Research indicated that it was effective in reducing strokes. Previous research was based on 81 g of aspirin. But it did not take into account the person's weight.

That is interesting and makes sense.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

There seems to be adequate proof that a daily low dose of aspirin can prevent stroke.

I found one site with photos of many shelves of many different brands and strengths, obviously in a US pharmacy. I've never seen so many brands / strengths and here is LOS never seen a pharmacy with such a large range of aspirin.

I've just been surfing for suitable brand names which would be available in LOS but no clear answers.

Can any TV medics please comment or suggest a couple of suitable products. Thanks.

Aspent-M 81 mg but do speak with your doctor and/or research the latest information.

Edited by Dap