BANGKOK 17 October 2018 05:30
SooKee

AIS Playbox losing internet connection when waking from standby?

Just noticed this of late but when waking the Playbox (ethernet connected) from sleep I quite often get the AIS Playbox logo screen and a message saying 'Internet reconnecting'.  Waiting does nothing.  Can only be fixed by pulling the ethernet cable and plugging it in again.  So far I've tried changing ethernet cables, cleaning the connections and changing ethernet ports on the Asus 86U router.  Have just changed the cable again so will see how that goes.  Doesn't happen every time, maybe will wake OK 3-4 times then I get a drop-out.

I have several devices connected to the router and it's only the Playbox that seems to be losing the connection.  The Shield never has this problem and I've even tried the Playbox in the port that the Shield was using in case a port was failing (doubtful).  Will likely try a factory reset of the Playbox if that fails to resolve it will contact AIS, maybe the box has developed a fault.  Anyone else getting the problem?

Yeap....that has occurred ever since I've had AIS Playboxes, old or new model boxes....before and after box neutering also.   It's completely inconsistent in when it wants to do it on both my boxes....one box may do it while the other will not.  Sometimes I can go a few weeks without it occurring....then other times it seems it wants to do it once daily for a couple of days....then the problem just disappears for maybe a few weeks.  And as mentioned it may happen on one box but not the other.  Over the last week it seems one box likes to do it every day or two.

Sometimes when the message appears you can click continue...it takes you to a Playbox internet connection menu which presents a Wifi and Ethernet connection selection.  If connected via Ethernet and you select the Ethernet selection another menu opens showing four or so boxes with IP-related addresses with one or more boxes being empty...but wait a few seconds and the empty boxes sometimes gets populated...back out of that menu and you now have an internet connection...TV is playing.   Other times that does not work.  Sometimes briefly unplugging and replugging the Ethernet cable into the box works....sometimes it don't.  

I have both boxes connect via Ethernet but have tried Wifi connections....problem still occurs.

What always works is turning the box off and on....that is, using the off-off switch....when it finishes rebooting (doesn't take long) you'll have the connection back.  

Don't waste your time in doing a box reset....I've tried that on the old and new boxes in the past several times....didn't help...doesn't prevent the problem from coming back.  Pretty sure I have tried everything else under the sun in terms of box settings, Android settings, clearing Data/Cache, etc....etc....etc.   I'm about 99% sure the problem is on the AIS server end although it sure looks like the box is just having a hard time making the basic connection to your router.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Ah cheers. Looks like a design glitch somewhere as opposed to network problems. One thing I can say, I think with pretty much certainty, is that I never had this problem pre the firmware update.

I haven't noticed this issue.

I might consider assigning a static local IP address (192.168.x.x) for the playbox's MAC address in your DHCP router. See if that affects the problem at all. 

45 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I haven't noticed this issue.

I might consider assigning a static local IP address (192.168.x.x) for the playbox's MAC address in your DHCP router. See if that affects the problem at all. 

Already tried that (several times in the past)...doesn't help.  

One thing I am just trying, whether it will have any effect or not, I did change the DNS servers on the router from automatic to the Google DNS.  I've just switched it back to automatic, will see if I still get the problem over the coming days / weeks. 

I doubt that it will because in those cases where it's not making a connection if you go quickly into the Wifi/Ethernet connection menu I talked earlier it will show the DSN being used as 8.8.8.8 (google) but once it makes a connection it then changes to a 192 series which means it using whatever DNS setting is set in router...automatic or whatever DNS you use which would be google which you have just set as a test.

Plus I would think what DNS AIS uses would definitely be the best one to make a connection with its own TV servers.  

What makes it so hard is how this problem comes and goes....it can disappear for weeks and then come back intermittently for a few days....then disappear for a few weeks...etc....etc.....etc.

Although this particular problem appears on the surface as just not making a connection to the router like I mentioned before it could very well be it not connecting to its TV servers and then gives a type error that makes you think its a basic box to router connection problem.   

Fortunately it don't happen too often any more but I remember back when I had the old unneutered box there was times it was bad....hard to get a connection....had to turn off and on (a complete power down and up) to get a connection.  Then once again the problem could disappear for weeks but then come back again for a day or two....then disappear again...etc.  And it did it when I had it connected to three different routers, one of which was the AIS provided Hauwei router.  

So you tried using a static IP address and you experienced the exact same issue? With the same frequency? Over an extended time period?

Again it sounds like the AIS box is retaining an IP address which your router has doled out to another device. Does your DHCP router hand out the same IP address to the AIS box all the time?

In one AIS configuration, I have a secondary router, in WDS mode connected to the AIS Huawei (primary), with the AIS box connected to it via ethernet. Never have any connectivity issues. The AIS box should show up as device type: dhcpcd-5.5.6.

When you experience this issue what does your DHCP table look like? Does this happen when you connect the Playbox via WiFi?

I searched Thai social media briefly and didn't see any mention of a similar problem. 

Edited by mtls2005

Two ways to assign a static IP from my Asus routers....both of them do the same thing except in a little different manner.

(1) MAC and IP Address Binding which is nothing more than a switch you turn on within the router for any item that is connected at the time which takes the IP address assigned at the time to a specific MAC and from then on that same IP address will be issued to that MAC address.  Like if IP address 192.168.2.24 was assigned to the Playbox then from now on that same IP address will always be issued to that Playbox.  Doing it this way did not help.

(2) Manually Assign where you can pick a specific IP address to be assigned to that MAC each time.    Say 192.168.2.24 was currently assigned and even through it may never-ever change but for some reason you wanted  to use IP 192.168.2.75, just change the .24 address to .75 and turn on that setting.  Then from now on that IP address will be issued to that Playbox.  Doing it this way did not help

And before continuing on, with routers now days when the lease time is up on an IP address unless the router is running low on 192.XXX IP addresses, which is highly, highly unlikely since it usually has around 250 it can hand out for a typical setup, the router is going to automatically reassign the same IP address based on the experience with my routers.  It basically simulates a static IP type setup.

Now within the Playbox internet connection settings you can turn DHCP on or off.  If you turn off DHCP you can manually enter a specific IP address, DNS, etc.,...click Submit and it retains that while the box is on or in standby.  Doing that did not help. 

The Playbox DHCP on-off setting will only stay set to off if the Playbox is powered up or in standby; if the Playbox losses power like a brief power outage of a second which is not uncommon, you decide to do a hard reboot by using the power switch, etc., then the DHCP setting automatically defaults to on.  But since the IP is being assigned by the router, whether the Playbox is using DHCP to pickup the IP address or DHCP is turned off and it expecting a specific IP address shouldn't matter as it just wants any old IP address to work.

I've never looked at the router DHCP table when this happens to see if the router is setting/issuing an IP address to the Playbox or not as I've just concentrated on trying to get the Playbox to make a connection by going to the Playbox internet settings to see if it then magically then grabs an IP address (which it does sometimes), remove & reconnect the Ethernet connection, or hard reboot.   A hard reboot works 99% of the time of first try...the other two methods work somewhere over 50% of the time.   Next time when the problem occurs and the situation allows I may take a look at the router DHCP table to see if it reflects a connection/IP address assigned....but don't know what I would do with that info in terms of trying something different.

Problem occurs using an Ethernet or Wifi connection (2.4 or 5Ghz)...I use Ethernet connections but have tried Wifi when having this issue.   With the Wifi connections the Playboxes and routers are within approx a half a meter or four meters apart...line of sight. 

Fortunately the problem don't happen too often now (in the past it did...go thru spells of being in a bad mood).  But really it should almost never happen as none of my other numerous devices which connect to my routers via Ethernet or Wifi experience this problem.  When you turn-on a TV box like walking into the room or from your bed in the middle of the night, you just want it to start playing video...you don't want to have to reboot it/start playing with settings to get it to grab an IP connection.  

Yes I noticed that the PB appeared to be unconnected when I opened 'Settings / Network' when the problem arose but that it had the 8.8.8.8 address which I assumed was it's last known DNS setting picked up from the router, seeing as that was the DNS I had set in the router.  Having set the router back to "Automatic" for DNS I've yet to see what it will show as the DNS in the event of a connection loss,  I'm still waiting for the problem to surface again.  I also thought that the Playbox connecting through AIS preferred DNS would likely be better than forcing a user selected DNS (where needed those DNS can always be set on the device, doesn't need to be at the router).  

I also have the device set to pick up the same IP address via the MAC address reservation table.  Thought I had set it before but that was the old Playbox, not the new one.  I also have no other problems with any other device connecting to the router by ethernet or wifi (I haven't tried the Playbox with wifi though).  Will see how it goes.

Quick update:  very odd with trying to assign a static IP to this, as in seemingly not possible.  I input the Playbox MAC address into the table, assign the IP address but, the Playbox after reboot does not take that IP address, instead insisting in taking ###.###.##.181 every time, no matter what you do.  It's as if it's somehow configured in the Playbox to not accept a router assigned IP.  I've tried it with DHCP in the device (an 'option' I don't recall seeing on other devices) set to on and off, no go, insists on assigning the 181 address itself, but, at least in that regard, it is getting the same assigned IP address every time, even if you aren't responsible and can't control it.  As Pib says, set DHCP off in the device and whenever there's a hard reset it defaults to on.  Could have sworn I'd set the Mac IP address reservation table before for this, I had, just wasn't working so I assumed it was the old box.

First device I've ever seen where an IP address cannot be controlled and 'force assigned' by Mac reservation table on a router.

Edited by SooKee

The plot thickens with this!  I think something is up on the router end.  Just tried assigning a reserved IP address to my phone which on the network had ###.###.##.9.  Doesn't work!  Fill in the  MAC address, assign the IP address, turn wifi off/on (even tried rebooting the phone) no joy.  Still picks up the IP address it had before ending in 9.  It's as if devices are being remembered by the router and, once it has been given an IP address, it's getting automatically reserved for it.  When I'm in the Mac reservation table all of the devices are there in a pull down at the end of the field where you'd enter the MAC address.  Selecting it populates the 'save' list with it's MAC address, it's current IP address which you can then edit and save.  Except the assignation doesn't work.  I'm wondering if this is as the result of some Asus firmware upgrade or a setting I've messed up.

Need to explore this as I prefer to use IP addresses I assign rather than one the router is choosing, even if it's the same one. 

Above router problem sorted.  Think something may have gone awry with the last firmware upgrade.  Re-flashed it and all seems to be working now.  Panic over.

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

Yes I noticed that the PB appeared to be unconnected when I opened 'Settings / Network' when the problem arose but that it had the 8.8.8.8 address which I assumed was it's last known DNS setting picked up from the router, seeing as that was the DNS I had set in the router.  Having set the router back to "Automatic" for DNS I've yet to see what it will show as the DNS in the event of a connection loss,  I'm still waiting for the problem to surface again.  I also thought that the Playbox connecting through AIS preferred DNS would likely be better than forcing a user selected DNS (where needed those DNS can always be set on the device, doesn't need to be at the router).  

When/if the problem comes back if you "immediately" go into the network settings when the no connection message appears you can catch it showing 8.8.8.8 for the PB DNS until it makes a connection then the DNS changes to 192 series (i.e., it now relying on the router).   I've seen this numerous times over the last couple of years with the old and new boxes...neutered and unneutered....when using three different routers...in playing around with this problem....trying to find a fix....which I'm pretty much given up on as I've tried everything (numerous times) I can think of. 

I've even thought about making an Ethernet cable wired to the T568A configuration vs T568B configuration to see if that might fix the issue when making a connection via Ethernet.   The later B configuration is predominately used/sold now days and that's how all my Ethernet cables are wired.  But I haven't done it yet since the problem also occurs with a Wifi connection....so if it does it on a Wifi connection also then it can't be an Ethernet wiring configuration issue. 

image.png.df4991282142b1ddfdfbe945cf45315f.png

Very strange eh?  As I had actually been using Google DNS on the router I'd assumed that was where is was coming from.  Obviously not.  Not a big deal and thankfully it's not too common, but still a PITA having to pull the cable from it every now and then to get it to reconnect.  Only just noticed it recently and I'm fairly certain not before the FW upgrade (or it's possible I wasn't using it enough in light of the awful UI before the fw upgrade). As we both have the same router, be interesting to if others are getting the problem with different routers.

Edited by SooKee