BANGKOK 19 October 2018 17:49
RickG16

Buying a sound system on Samui

Not decided if I will buy hi-fi tower speakers with an amp, or an active sound system speaker as part of a pair....

But where are the best places in Samui to buy from? I am thinking it will be a choice between the electronics shop @ Central, or one of the karaoke style shops for a larger sound system?

Alternatively, getting one delivered in an option....

BigC also sell sound systems, I even think they got more systems than PowerBuy (or whatever the name is) in Central, which seem to concentrate on compact brand name speakers; and there are still some few systems in Tesco also.

If you are into more pro-stuff I would peek into this shop opposite BigC, they sell professionel sound equipment, and might also have speaker systems; or can direct you to a supplier...🙂

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

BigC also sell sound systems, I even think they got more systems than PowerBuy (or whatever the name is) in Central, which seem to concentrate on compact brand name speakers; and there are still some few systems in Tesco also.

If you are into more pro-stuff I would peek into this shop opposite BigC, they sell professionel sound equipment, and might also have speaker systems; or can direct you to a supplier...🙂

Great stuff...thanks for that mate. I do recall that shop opposite Big C now you mention it.

Unfortunately I'll have to factor in taxis to and from the pier as Im in Koh Phangan and don't have a car.

Still weighing up the options... like so many things in Thailand, the cost for non-Thai made speakers is much much more.

But then there is the cloud of doubt above the Thai speaker brands, such as Sherman and NTS. Does anyone have any experience with these Thai brands of bigger speakers? I tested some NTS ones and they started cutting out a little at high volume....

I'm looking to play electronic music (loud bass) on these, rather than just karaoke, so looking for something decent at least. 

Cheers

Edited by RickG16

Don’t know what your budget is, but Lazada has stereo gear.  Second hand in Bangkok is also an option (again, depending upon budget)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

Don’t know what your budget is, but Lazada has stereo gear.  Second hand in Bangkok is also an option (again, depending upon budget)

Don't really want to pay more than 10-15, including an amp if needed.....

I need bigger than 'bookshelf speakers', so looks like I will be restricted to the Thai brands... unless I can find something 2nd hand.

8 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I need bigger than 'bookshelf speakers', so looks like I will be restricted to the Thai brands... unless I can find something 2nd hand.

If you’re looking for substantial bass, you might be better off going with small speakers plus a powered subwoofer.  At your budget, I would highly recommend used gear.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'm looking to play electronic music (loud bass) on these...

I was about to say my friend Tony's speakers – they got that funky bass, and I talk from experience – but that might be overdoing it; however something with a fairly large sub-bass, it's the low frequencies that demands the many watts, and an adjustable LF x-over, so you can adjust the right amount of thrill...😉

• Like 1

If it was my money, I would go with a pair of Audioengine A2+ paired with an Audioengine S8 subwoofer.  Next step up would be Q-Acoustics.

• Like 2

Mahajak opposite big c but they are usual more than your budget. Try shop opposite Tesco chaweng and also maybe online at piyanus I think the company is called. They have ok stuff and speakers that cost up to 8 million bht !!

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

Mahajak opposite big c but they are usual more than your budget. Try shop opposite Tesco chaweng and also maybe online at piyanus I think the company is called. They have ok stuff and speakers that cost up to 8 million bht !!

Piyanas is good.  Definitely worth checking out their website but I think the OPs budget would need to be upped to a minimum of 20-25k for the least expensive integrated amp + floor standing speakers + cables.  I’m not sure how much they charge for shipping and their website is difficult to navigate.  If you become a member, they give 15% off their list prices.  The discount doesn’t apply to sale items however (I found that out when I bought a subwoofer there last week)...and yeah...they have some insanely expensive gear for sure.  They were nice enough to let me into their hidden room to listen to this system when I was there (Central Bangna store)

Piyanas.com

ED055A6D-BCDF-4F76-A1A9-B8BFEFB1B2E8.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Even 2nd hand it would be difficult to find something decent for that money. Esp. For a commercial application. 

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

Piyanas is good.  Definitely worth checking out their website but I think the OPs budget would need to be upped to a minimum of 20-25k for the least expensive integrated amp + floor standing speakers + cables.  I’m not sure how much they charge for shipping and their website is difficult to navigate.  If you become a member, they give 15% off their list prices.  The discount doesn’t apply to sale items however (I found that out when I bought a subwoofer there last week)...and yeah...they have some insanely expensive gear for sure.  They were nice enough to let me into their hidden room to listen to this system when I was there (Central Bangna store)

Piyanas.com

ED055A6D-BCDF-4F76-A1A9-B8BFEFB1B2E8.jpeg

Is that the if you touch it you own it model ?? 😀

Just out of interest what was the cd choice they had laying there ?

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

Is that the if you touch it you own it model ?? 😀

Just out of interest what was the cd choice they had laying there ?

Haha...I certainly wouldn’t want to get within stumbling distance from it.  The CDs were an eclectic selection of random Thai music that I’m completely unfamiliar with and a Metallica CD.  He brought a jazz CD in when I asked if he had any western music.  I think I might have to bring them a goodwill gift of a ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ SACD and hope they let me listen to it.

• Haha 2