BANGKOK 19 October 2018 18:52
Golden Triangle

Are dried fruit a healthy snack option ?

I have recently started snacking in the evening with various dried fruits, dried strawberry, cranberry & a pack containing mixed tropical fruits, I'm concerned that they maybe high in sugar/fructose and not helping me to lose a bit of weight, normally I would devour half a pack of Digestive biscuits 😀 I'm off the booze and doing as much as I can manage on my exercise bike, any advice gratefully received thanks.

Why not eat fresh local fruit? it's not as if there's any lack, and dried fruit is usually expensive in comparison.

• Like 1

Dried fruit can supply your body with large amounts of antioxidants, Dried Fruit can also boost your fiber and nutrient intake, you should note however that dried fruit are also high in sugar and calories and can cause problems when eaten in excess.

Basically dried fruits should only be eaten in small amounts and with other nutrition.

My other thought would be is if you are on medication there would be certain things you need to watch for. As an example only, someone on Warfarin, wouldn't want to pig out on cranberries because one interferes with the other.

You would be better off getting medical advice or onto medical internet sites and checking things out like this, rather than posting here.

I guess it's the same as everything, most things taken in moderation may be ok.

• Thanks 1

NO!!!!!!

They are CONCENTRATED, full of calories and sugars. Most of the vitamins will have been destroyed in the drying process.  They do have high fiber.  But the unhealthy side outweighs the healthy.

Actually even fresh fruit is not as healthy as people have been made to believe.  Such they have lots of fibre and vitamins, but that's about it.  They are also sugary and the acid in them erodes your teeth.  Plus there days, unless you buy organic, they are full of chemicals.  Vegetables are much better alternative to fruits.

A much healthier alternative to the replace the dried fruit would be something like roasted pumpkin seeds, unsalted (or you lightly salt them yourself) mixed nuts, seeds etc.  Roasted almonds are one of the top healthy ones... and their are packed with nutrients and have been shown to help in weight loss.

Also the purple / orange steamed sweet potatoes are delicious (better when still hot) and taste sweet to meet any sugar cravings you might have, yet they are great to eat to loose weight and really fill you up for a long time too due to their high fiber contents.  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Thanks 1

For snacking rather than crisps and peanuts and chocolate, i have muesli with milk and a small banana. Weetabix is also good. Porridge would fill you up but i only have for breakfast

Try your best to stick with cooked whole grains, starchy vegetables, non-starchy vegetables, legumes and fresh fruit, and see if that helps you to lose weight.

• Like 1