BANGKOK 19 October 2018 17:49

I would like to buy some land on Koh Samui. I have been with girlfriend 8 years now and we just did the big party / giving money to mother etc , but have not yet signed the marriage papers.

My question. I would like to buy some land in her name and lease the land to build a house which would be in my name for 30 years nad hopefully longer if I last.

I have been told do this before we are officially married as this would be better if anything happens in the future or would this not count? I also want to get my property in UK separate.

Thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobby2 said:

I would like to buy some land on Koh Samui.

Buying property, especially land, anywhere in Thailand is potentially a problem, but trying to do it on islands seems to be even worse. Land registry on Thai islands is not always very clear.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bobby2 said:

I would like to buy some land in her name and lease the land

make sure you have a will because if you want some of your Farang family to get the house it will be a big problem without one. 

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Buying property, especially land, anywhere in Thailand is potentially a problem, but trying to do it on islands seems to be even worse. Land registry on Thai islands is not always very clear.

samui did have a lot of encroachment and false Chanotes years ago, courstey of The Bandidos. But land is for Thais only so even clean land chanotes are worthless to a Foreigner.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 4:03 PM, baansgr said:

So many threads and also hundreds of personal friends and acquaintances that have lost everything. There is no way of owning any property in Thailand as a Foreigner other than a condo.  Lease,  usufruct,  company,  kids name.... It's never yours and you are beholding to Thais always. For every one person that is happy there are thousands that regret it.  Married  kids,  together 20 years doesn't matter.  Seen it so many times.  If you are willing to write that money off then go ahead otherwise just rent or buy a condo in your name. Believe me. You won't own a single brick or dust of land

Your absolutely correct add into this urinal the fact that there are many cases of the husbands name being forged to transfer property to third parties (accomplices) who of course never suspected a property worth 30 million Baht was for sale for just 2 million. If somebody despite all this advice goes ahead then take out a small loan with a bank in joint names and add a copy of same with the land office and attached to the Chanote. Even if you do all this... This is Thailand.

I would like to one day learn more about how a foreigner can remortgage a house to a Thai national by securing a lien on it which means it can never be sold unless this lien is paid off in full.

The lien being the full value of the property.

Can this be done I wonder?

2 hours ago, robertson468 said:

I have never read so many negative and nonesense posts by idiots who claim that everyone who marries a Thia and buys land will loose it.  Absolute tosh!  I have been married now for nearly fourteen years, bought some land and gave it to my Wife who built a little Resort, which brings in a nice little income to supplement my pensions thank you very much.  Also many I my Friends are married to lovely, honest Thai Ladies and are doing very well thank you very much.  Yes, some have fallen foul of the less than honest Ladies, but sorry, that is up to your judgements and assessment of their character.  If you have doubts clearly don't go down that route.  If you have over several years come to trust her implicitly, then I would recommend that you go for it.  At first I bought land through a Company, but got fed up being whacked for tax each year and after four years, gifted it to my Wife.  She is an absolute treasure and I do trust her totally.  She treats me far better than I deserve (bit of a Grumpy old Git very occasionally) and hey ho nearly 14 years on, we are so enjoying our life together with a very comfortable income and travelling the World and sharing the experience together.  My advice;  don't listen to these "know it alls" and based on your own experience of your knowledge and judgement of your Lady, make your own decision.  Good luck and I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me.

About 2% , you can trust, you got lucky but odds are against you, many friends, hmmmm, learn Thai, so they don’t hoodwink you

• Confused 1

It sounds like he knows he can not own the land.  He wants his wife to buy the land and then give him a 30 year lease on it.