BANGKOK 17 October 2018 05:38
Arjen

Search for AVR

I open a new topic, as a follow up for this topic: 

I was a happy user from an AVR, or AVS from VEG. Untill it stopped working. 

I went back to the shop where I bought it. They agreed it did not work, and took it with them. I did not have the receipt, but they figured out I bought it 8 months ago, so it should be repaired under warrantly. After one month I could pick it up. In the shop (Global) they tested (?) it to proof to me it worked. They connected a wire to to input side, and showed me with a voltage meter output was 220V. Input was also 220V, no load, so not much proof. But OK. I was more or less happy. Brought the thing home, connected it. At that time my incoming supply was close to 220V. 

The first evening several times we where in the dark. My own power supply kicked in. Strange thing was that our neighbours still had light. So checked. incoming power was 180V outgoing power from AVR 150V.

The next morning my wife called Global, and they should talk with the manager and promised to call back in an hour....

The next day (yes, it was a long hour) Global called and told my wife that they called the day before also, but could not contact us... 

Anyway, they asked us to bring the AVR back to them.

They told me they have a lot of problems with VEG, ad the manufacterer does not provide any help to them. They wanted to refund me. With coupons....

I requested money, and without much discussion they refund me cash money. So far so good, although, I preferred to have a working AVR.

Since installation our grid has improved a lot, (and with a working AVR you do not notice this) Before we where every morning between 07.00 and 08.00 below 150V, and every evening between 17.00 and 21.00 also. Now we are on random times for around a hour below 180V.

So I am a bit in a doubt, buying again a AVR? I hate to see the light go down and I hate to hear my refrigerators and pumps struggling, so Yes, I want an AVR.

After information from Global I am a bit scare to buy again VEG. I have seen Lioa and they have open connections. The thing will be on the floor, and sometimes dogs walk around this area. 

So LiOA I will not choose.

I have some equipment from Leonics, and I am happy with the service they provide. It seems they make also AVR's but that part from the website is only in Thai: http://www.leonics.co.th/html/th/pd_pqp/stabilizer.php

I have send them an email for more information. I expect an answer tomorrow.

And I found a Thai supplier, CBC. They have several sizes AVR (https://cbcinter.com/voltage-stabilizer/), the one close to my range is 18.000Watt, 20KVa, price is double from the VEG from 15.000Watt. The weight is also more than double. And, they give specifications! Input between 140V and 300V. Output 220-240V, and an outlet for 110V (I do not need) Output current 91A (more then enough for my needs)

They also have a smaller one, it can supply 45A, 10KVa. This is for 99.9% from the time more then enough for me. But sometimes (for example when I am welding) I am over this load. It is difficult to connect the thing on only a part from my electrical system (different from Crossy I did not wire so clever). Ofcourse what I can do is buy the smaller one, and when I want to use a higher load use an ATS (https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2p-ats-2-ac-automatic-transfer-switch-63a-fts-63a-2p-feeo-i100528309-s100607209.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.361a522doTH2hb&search=1) to bypass the AVR. This will save a lot of money.

Any thoughts, advices and ideas from forum members is much appreciated!

Arjen.

You might be better to talk with electric supply and neighbors and perhaps replace the transformer or add a new one as current one seems to be undersized.

• Like 1

I just ordered this one. Compared to the VEG neaarly double price. Also the weight is double, so price/Kg is same.....

I buy at a local shop. One year guarantee.

A question about connecting, The other one was, and so also this one is will be connected direct after a Chang knife breaker. So in sequence: Electricity meter, Chang Knife breaker, AVR, MDB The AVR is connected to ground/earth, with 2.5mm2. The MDB has a main CB, and all separate circuits have earth leakage protection. I guess it is unwise to protect the AVR with an earth leakage protection, but I am not to sure about this....

Arjen.

8719102645428.jpg

8719104022850.jpg

I wouldn't worry about any extra earth leakage protection for the AVR unless you can find a 100mA delayed RCD (or you won't get discrimination with the individual RCBOs).

But I would add surge arrestors if you don't already have them.

I do not have surge arrestors. I will order one. Will this be OK?: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/spd-9-i2047367-s2372848.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.37.6ce32a092i5AVo&search=1

Is it ok to connect it with the excisting ground cable from 2.5mm2? Or should it have its own ground? Or only a separate, thicker cable? And the AVR is connected to the ground in my MDB, I think that is correct?

Thanks for the great advice!

Arjen.

Try to find an arrestor with better than 20kA In. They need a good solid ground connection.

Your 2.5 back to the board should be OK as the ground for the AVR so long as the run is short, bigger would of course be better.

Thanks again!

It will be this one. I will connect the surge protector with 10mmto a separate earth rod. Or better to connect to the common ground system? Or separate earth rod, and connect this rod with the other rods (is probably same as connecting in MCB)

The cable run from AVR to MDB is only around 1 meter. I consider this as short?

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i2047347-s2372828.html?spm=a2o4m.order_details.details_title..66226108oVb44I&urlFlag=true&mp=1

Arjen.