BANGKOK 14 November 2018 02:55
jamden

Hernia repair

Anyone here had a hernia repair op in Chiang Mai area? details of hospital with prices and service please, thanks

Two years ago I was operated on my right Hernia at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai.

The surgeon was Mrs. Dr. Arisada who was joined during the surgery with another surgeon from CMU; I didn't know

his name and didn't meet him. Everything went OK, and I am feeling fine,

My insurance paid, thus I don't recall the cost.

• Like 2

Just had op in Sriracha Queen Hospital, near Pattaya,  Private room 2 days ,   cost 25,000b. all went ok. Not Chiang Mai, but handy to know price. 

Edited by clayto58
mistake
  • Like 2

Had a right inguinal fixed at RAM Hospital in March of 2016.  Total cost was 25, 540 and I was rather happy with the service.  If I recall right, I was in about 9AM and went home about 5PM (and, if I recall right, they were suggesting I could/should stay overnight but I elected to go home).  No complications, scar became invisible within a year.  

I also had a right inguinal fixed at RAM hospital, in 2012, from memory. I did stay in overnight which might have added substantially to the bill.  I paid a lot more than 25,540 (original quote was 60,000 but I paid less than that, maybe 50,000 from memory), and if i were to do it again, I would get a quote from another surgeon and think about doing it somewhere else besides RAM. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dundas said:

I also had a right inguinal fixed at RAM hospital, in 2012, from memory. I did stay in overnight which might have added substantially to the bill.  I paid a lot more than 25,540 (original quote was 60,000 but I paid less than that, maybe 50,000 from memory), and if i were to do it again, I would get a quote from another surgeon and think about doing it somewhere else besides RAM. 

Seems easy to drop a <deleted> by going to the wrong hospital as regards prices.😉

My Burmese house keepers husband had hernia repair her in Phuket at the government hospital, she said was 30,000baht and after 2 months, he's still laid up.

• Like 1

Can’t help with CM, but I had a left inguinal fixed in 2015 early July at a private hospital in Sakhon Nakhon and paid 27500. Private room, staff very friendly. I was there for 4 days due to a week pulse after the surgery for observation. Recovered fine and no problems since.

By no means get a mesh implant. Had one done at Bumrungrad in 2013 and tore open within a year to the point where my bowels were poking out. Went to BHP Pattaya and requested old tech where your sewn together inside and no possibility of rivets coming out and screwing you up. BTW , my tissue grew through the mesh and was not extractable. Don't let a Dr or a hospital talk you into mesh. Very high frequency of failure. You'll end up going back for an old tech repair.

• Like 1

Hello  I had one done at  The RAJAVEJ CHIANGMAI HOSPITAL JULY 2018. this was a second one as the first had broken out again after 7 years ,second hernia ops are more difficult to do and bigger opening needed to scrape the old one away. also i had high blood pressure . but it went very well . cost 57 000 baht    Regards William.  

Just now, nervona81732 said:

By no means get a mesh implant. Had one done at Bumrungrad in 2013 and tore open within a year to the point where my bowels were poking out. Went to BHP Pattaya and requested old tech where your sewn together inside and no possibility of rivets coming out and screwing you up. BTW , my tissue grew through the mesh and was not extractable. Don't let a Dr or a hospital talk you into mesh. Very high frequency of failure. You'll end up going back for an old tech repair.

Had mesh procedure for hiatus hernia in 2010 - doctor suggested 2 days post op in hopsital, I took 4 due to the pain when moving (i lived alone at the time, so no help at home when trying to get out of bed).  Followed doctors advice - lift nothing over 2kgs in weight for 4-6 weeks post op, and then never more than 20kgs after that.  Have had no problems post op.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully the OP gets the answers they seek here as to how much they can expect to pay.

It's not really a controversial or individual specific question.

There is plenty of reliable, peer reviewed information/data on the rest of the internet as to the success rates of different types of surgery.

I had a herniated umbilicus treated at BHP, was only in overnight but it still cost me £3500, as far as i know it was a mesh job, not had any problems so far and that was back in early 2015.

I have just dug out the bill, in baht it was 152,469, there are 21 items on the bill, I had no insurance but fortunately my credit card covered it, in BPH you pay for the lot. but I must add that since that episode I have not had any major accidents or infections/health problems so whilst I have no insurance - Too old now anyway, I have spent far less personally on hospital treatment than I would have paid in insurance premiums.

I did investigate while still in my late 50's, health insurance with a well known provider that begins with the 2nd letter of the alphabet, the very nice lady politely informed me that should I take up their cover I would not be covered for heart attack or stroke due to the fact that I had high blood pressure & I smoked (at that time) I told her those were my main concerns and therefore we could terminate the conversation there & then.

Bloody rip off merchants.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I had a herniated umbilicus treated at BHP, was only in overnight but it still cost me £3500, as far as i know it was a mesh job, not had any problems so far and that was back in early 2015.

I have just dug out the bill, in baht it was 152,469, there are 21 items on the bill, I had no insurance but fortunately my credit card covered it, in BPH you pay for the lot. but I must add that since that episode I have not had any major accidents or infections/health problems so whilst I have no insurance - Too old now anyway, I have spent far less personally on hospital treatment than I would have paid in insurance premiums.

I did investigate while still in my late 50's, health insurance with a well known provider that begins with the 2nd letter of the alphabet, the very nice lady politely informed me that should I take up their cover I would not be covered for heart attack or stroke due to the fact that I had high blood pressure & I smoked (at that time) I told her those were my main concerns and therefore we could terminate the conversation there & then.

Bloody rip off merchants.  

The modern way is to repair your hernia by   arthroscopic surgery.  They insert metal springs.  You can hit the health club in a few weeks and not worry about any future problems.

2 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

The modern way is to repair your hernia by   arthroscopic surgery.  They insert metal springs.  You can hit the health club in a few weeks and not worry about any future problems.

Totally unaware of that procedure & at the time I was in agony, I had had the hernia for many many years prior to coming here and had a belly button the size of half a golf ball, one morning as I got out of bed it just went, I had no option but to put myself at their mercy, now it looks like a normal tummy button 😄 For which I am grateful.