BANGKOK 14 November 2018 14:40
NoMeAmes

Moving my visa from old to new passport - at Changwattana: how long would it take?

I have to move my existing visa from my old passport to my new one. 

Question 1: do I have to go to Changwattana? Can't I do it at Chamchuri?

Question 2: If I have to do it at Changwattana, which counter is responsible for it? Is it counter N, the same one that handles all visa extensions? How long should I expect to wait? 

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Visas are not transferred, immigration only does a annotation of the one you used for entry. The only transfer stamps they have done.

1. You cannot use the one stop center at Chamchuri unless you are working for a BOI company and etc that qualify to use it.

2. Not sure which counter does the stamp transfers.

How long it takes depends entirely upon how busy the are when you go. For the simple stamp transfer it should take more than a couple of hours.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe so what exactly does it entail when I come through customs at Swampy with a new passport and the old one ,will I still need to go to my nearest Imm Office to stamp transfer ?

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, gaviny said:

Ubonjoe so what exactly does it entail when I come through customs at Swampy with a new passport and the old one ,will I still need to go to my nearest Imm Office to stamp transfer ?

If you have a valid visa or re-entry permit you will need to show both passports to immigration (not customs) on entry to use them and be stamped into the country in the new passport.

Then if you have a extension of stay you will have to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred to the new passport.

22 minutes ago, gaviny said:

Yes have both , will renew in Feb with old passport then off to Oz for a few months and will renew passport .Thanks will return with both n present to Immigration.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Don't forget a re-entry permit when you leave for Oz. 😆Without that your extension will be gone.

• Like 1

I had to do this at CW about five years ago because of a full passport. It seemed that the officer wrote about half a page in longhand before she stamped the new passport with my visa (matching the old visa--the clock does not start over!). It took place at the normal row where you get your retirement ext and other visas. Chamchuri has stopped doing most of the stuff it did when it was new (i even got my visas there back when...). I had to queue at CW for a couple of hours--the same as my yearly "visa".

What surprised me most was the amount of ballpoint writing. Surely they could just have a big black stamp for "visa transfer"?...TIT

Eddy

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, soleddy said:

What surprised me most was the amount of ballpoint writing. Surely they could just have a big black stamp for "visa transfer"?...TIT

I believe that writing documents the "extension of stay" chain back to the Non-O stamp that is used as the initial starting-point for it.

so someone just told me today that they have changed things at CW. This person said that she went there yesterday around noon, and they have already finished 300+ numbers. Can someone who have recently been at CW confirm this? 

• Like 1

There was a post on the Thai Visa Facebook group, that someone got to CW today at around 1pm (after lunch) and had got their Re-entry permit by 2.30.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There was a post on the Thai Visa Facebook group, that someone got to CW today at around 1pm (after lunch) and had got their Re-entry permit by 2.30.

that sounds normal for re-entry. How about the N counter? 

I did it at CW a few years ago. You do the transfer at the same counters that do the extensions, counter "L" I believe. It only takes about 5-10 minutes, but depending on how far back you are in the queue, you could wait for hours for your number to be called.