Jump to content
Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 17 January 2019 17:35
webfact

Palm oil being used to produce biodiesel

Recommended Posts

Palm oil being used to produce biodiesel

 

biodiesel-fuel-500x500.jpg

FILE photo

 

BANGKOK, 6th November 2018 (NNT)-The National Palm Oil Policy Committee is set to use 160,000 tons of palm oil in the production of biodiesel and electricity in an effort to make palm oil prices more stable. 

According to Director-General of the Department of Internal Trade (DIT) Mr. Wichai Phochanakij , the supply of palm oil currently exceeds domestic demand by 190,000 tons. To prevent the price falling, the National Palm Oil Policy Committee has come up with three solutions. 

First, up to 160,000 tons of palm oil will be used in the production of electricity at Ratchaburi and Bangpakong Power Plants. 

Second, large vehicles will be encouraged to use B20 biodiesel to raise the demand for palm oil. Bangchak Corporation Public Company Limited will be one of the distributors of B20. 

Mr. Wichai added that carmakers will be urged to improve truck engines to make them more compatible with B20 to solve the price issue in the long run. Up to 150,000 tons of crude palm oil will be used on a monthly basis. 

Lastly, the quality of palm oil will be upgraded according to the standard requirements set forth by the Ministry of Industry. The DIT Director-General believes that the price of palm oil will increase within three months if these solutions are implemented successfully. 

Meanwhile, Energy Minister Mr. Siri Jirapongphan has announced that the Energy Policy and Planning Office is set to raise the amount of palm oil used in the production of biodiesel by 0.3% to 6.9%. He claimed the move would increase the demand for palm oil by as many as 80,000 tons per year.

 
nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-11-06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bio fuels eat plastic engine parts.  Believe 5-10% mixtures are okay for plastic parts.  Old kitchen oil can be refined also. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Bio fuels eat plastic engine parts.  Believe 5-10% mixtures are okay for plastic parts.  Old kitchen oil can be refined also. 

 

Not all biofuels are the same, the bad one for eating plastics is ethanol, which is the one they already sell at every gas station going, where as this is being used to make biodiesel, which does not AFAIK eat plastic.  As for old kitchen oil, sure it can be recycled, that is why they will buy it from you in Thailand, but there is no where near enough of it to make any real difference in regard to fuels.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

It eats old pure rubber fuel lines.  Modern lines are fine.

 

What does?  Biofuel is not one fuel type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thian said:

Great! Just cut the whole jungle in Malaysia/Indonesia to grow more palm oil....greenpeace will love it! Who needs monkeys/birds/and the lot......we need more oil for our SUV's to drive them in the trafficjam and pollute the cities...

Palm oil has been used for this purpose for many many years, the article is about stabilising prices.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thian said:

Great! Just cut the whole jungle in Malaysia/Indonesia to grow more palm oil....greenpeace will love it! Who needs monkeys/birds/and the lot......we need more oil for our SUV's to drive them in the trafficjam and pollute the cities...

Yep...

The continued mindless drive to consume and accumulate, usually disguised as something more warm and fuzzy.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Thian said:

*******

 

**************

Edited by zzaa09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, webfact said:

the supply of palm oil currently exceeds domestic demand by 190,000 tons. To prevent the price falling, the National Palm Oil Policy Committee has come up with three solutions. 

All of which are related to increasing domestic use.

But why would that be the strategy?

  • In May 2017 Thailand (Prayut) was invited to become a member of the federation of palm oil producing nations set up by Malaysia and Indonesia.
  • They were looking to Thailand for support to oppose the effects of the EU resolution to curb the use of palm oil  that could potentially damage the palm oil industry.
  • However, it was decided that the EU resolution had no impact on Thailand since most of its Thai pal oil products are exported elsewhere.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/981382-eu-resolution-on-palm-oil-not-affecting-thailand/?utm_source=newsletter-20170503-1230&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

 

Is Thailand seeing the impact of the EU resolution that's creating an international surplus and Thailand really doesn't have foreign trade partners who can increase Thailand's palm oil imports; thus, the reason for planning higher domestic consumption?

Which is unlikely going to affect international palm oil prices.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Palm oil has been used for this purpose for many many years, the article is about stabilising prices.

I know that, greenpeace even supported it a decade ago...but last years they're against it.

 

Have you never flewn above malaysia? You can see palmoil plantations for half an hour or so, they are huge...All the jungle has gone and now Borneo is doing the same..

 

It's time that the Thai start saving fuel, why do they all need 4wd or very big cars to drive to work in traffic jam? And the pollution is getting really bad in BKK...now the smokers outside buildings are blamed but what about the polluting cars?

 

My motocy drives 45 km a litre in the city, outside even 55-60 or so. But the plane i have to use for a visarun uses more..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thian said:

I know that, greenpeace even supported it a decade ago...but last years they're against it.

 

Have you never flewn above malaysia? You can see palmoil plantations for half an hour or so, they are huge...All the jungle has gone and now Borneo is doing the same..

 

It's time that the Thai start saving fuel, why do they all need 4wd or very big cars to drive to work in traffic jam? And the pollution is getting really bad in BKK...now the smokers outside buildings are blamed but what about the polluting cars?

 

My motocy drives 45 km a litre in the city, outside even 55-60 or so. But the plane i have to use for a visarun uses more..

Stop doing visa runs, do your bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Stop doing visa runs, do your bit!

or stop forcing me to do visaruns.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thian said:

or stop forcing me to do visaruns.....

Buy an elite visa, problem solved!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they will stop to put 10% of palm oil in condensed milk, I found up to 26% of palm oil in a "dairy cream" I have this nasty habit of reading the labels of every products before buying because my confidence in the industry is much the same as in the Sicilian mafia

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×