BANGKOK 14 November 2018 07:50
l4ml4m

Oscar Sardines from Tops, but where else can you buy them ?

hi, do you know the Oscar sardines ?

They are sold at Tops but hard to find and not always available:

https://www.tops.co.th/en/king-oscar-brisling-sardines-extra-virgin-olive-oil-two-layer-106g-0034800002001

Have you seen them anywhere else ?

They really are the best Sardines that I have ever tried, and if you don't know what are good sardines, you should try them, they cannot compare with any Thai zhit sardines sold here.

Enjoy !

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

what do you eat together with sardines ?

nice with some thick slices of brown bread.

• Like 2

Not only Oscar sardines but Oscar mackerel in tomato sauce. 109 baht. Great on sandwiches. Tastes just like my favorite back home in Norway. You can buy them at Tops and Central foodmarket, also Best supermarket in Pattaya.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, balo said:

Not only Oscar sardines but Oscar mackerel in tomato sauce. 109 baht. Great on sandwiches. Tastes just like my favorite back home in Norway. You can buy them at Tops and Central foodmarket, also Best supermarket in Pattaya.

yes, and sardine in olive oil is the healthiest fish in the world.

I do not eat zhit thai fish anymore, I let them for people who enjoy dying in pain 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, balo said:

King Oscar is purchased by Thai Union Group, a global leader in the canned seafood industry committed to King Oscar’s continued growth and success.

I was just curious where they were caught or farmed and canned and found it interesting that Thai Union Group owns the company.

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ricklev said:

I was just curious where they were caught or farmed and canned and found it interesting that Thai Union Group owns the company.

Yes interesting history that made them world famous. 

"The King Oscar export brand was founded in 1902, when King Oscar II, King of Norway and Sweden, gave Chr. Bjelland & Co (no), one of Norway's leading canning companies at the time, special royal permission to use his name and likeness on a line of sardine products.

Over the years, the King Oscar brand expanded into new markets, introduced new product lines, and was eventually acquired by several different parent companies as the sardine canning industry evolved in Norway. Today, King Oscar AS is owned by Thai Union Group, one of the largest seafood producers in the world."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ricklev said:

King Oscar is purchased by Thai Union Group, a global leader in the canned seafood industry committed to King Oscar’s continued growth and success.

But still caught in EU.

• Like 1