BANGKOK 12 December 2018 11:48
webfact

Grab and illegal tuk-tuks driving Chiang Mai businessman to bankruptcy

Is there any actual different between an illegal and legal tuk-tuk in Thailand?

They all pretty much seem to be scammers and rip-off artists, AFAICT.

Never seen a meter on a tuk-tuk. Never seen an official fares/distance chart for tuk-tuk trips.

It’s called competition-well, nothing lasts forever 

As much as I think Grab is a complete sh*tshow operation wise - terrible customer service, wildly varying time estimates, can you cancel sir please bullshit, buggy app. They do aid price discoverability in a big way, even if I dont use Grab in a new location I know roughly within plus or minus 25% what price I'd tolerate. 

The poor late night "disco disco sexy lady karoke" bars that you explicitly said no too, but Somchai still swings by, are hopefully suffering too.

Edited by digitalnobhead
  • Confused 1

"Grab and illegal tuk-tuks driving Chiang Mai businessman to bankruptcy"

Where is bankruptcy?

9 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

....and the Long Suffering FERANG who were silly enough to live here have just about had a Gut Full of being ripped-off and treated like dirt.

There was once a Government Sponsored HEALTH Insurance scheme, introduced by a PM who was “hounded out of tge country.” Then the FERANG Health Scheme was DITCHED, leaving the Ferang to Die like Soi Dogs !

Yes, the INTERNET will no doubt save many in the future from being Lured into the Thai Rip-off.

Immigration is throwing in their shots too, see how many retirees they can ditch over income verification.  

That won't be an insignificant amount of lost revenue.

Probably won't be seeing Thailand in the top 20 list anymore for low cost retirement destinations.

Edited by Nowisee

19 hours ago, balo said:

Crazy , 250 000 baht for an old tuk tuk ??  

No thanks , you can get a nice used car for that price. 

If he is worried about earning money , why can't he just become a GRAB driver? Probably too lazy and too drunk. 

Lazy and drunk doesn't make a thirty-year business. Over-generalize much?

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, digitalnobhead said:

As much as I think Grab is a complete sh*tshow operation wise - terrible customer service, wildly varying time estimates, can you cancel sir please bullshit, buggy app. They do aid price discoverability in a big way, even if I dont use Grab in a new location I know roughly within plus or minus 25% what price I'd tolerate. 

The poor late night "disco disco sexy lady karoke" bars that you explicitly said no too, but Somchai still swings by, are hopefully suffering too.

LOL I was JUST at one tonight--was taking a cute chinese girl back to central Festival and stopped by the PANDORA place on train rd and told her how tuk tuks try to take tourists there..just one lonly guy sitting inside waiting for his guests...looked dark and empty...she was spooked..as was I ....haha

22 hours ago, namatjira said:

Excellent analogy .... Tuk Tuks shot an own goal by gouging their customers .... only good for the tourism experience...

and to sniff the pollution in an open air vehicle - perhaps better than in China 555

Pollution belching unsafe and noisy...happy to see them disappear,

leave some for nostalgia...that’s all they are good for, we have cars in Thailand now...