BANGKOK 14 November 2018 20:00
Ganador

Can a farang child attend a Thai government school?

Hi all. Can anybody tell me if a farang child (not Thai parents) can attend a Thai government school in Bangkok?

My boy is aged seven, and I want him to enrol in a Thai government elementary school, if that is possible.

If that is NOT allowed for farang kids, can anybody recommend a budget priced private school in the lower Sukhumvit area for him? We cannot afford the fancy international schools, just a "reasonably priced" private elementary school.

Any helpful suggestions and advice appreciated.

I am not sure if he can attend, but is your son fluent in Thai?

- If not, then the government school I think is the wrong area to go to school

BMA schools take migrant children, so quite possible although unlikely if he's not already fluent and/or literate in Thai (even though he would be very quickly if he were allowed entry).
A bi-lingual school may be a better (and easier for your child) choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for ALL replies... very helpful. Yes i think that a bilingual school may be the way to go, as his Thai language is basic.

So can anybody suggest or recommend such a private school in the lower Sukhumvit area? Preferably, with a school bus service to collect him from home in the morning and deliver him back home after school?

Not sure there are too many around lower Suk.

For a boy, you could try St Dominic's on Phetchaburi near Asoke, Assumption or Bangkok Christian on Sathorn. All those are boys only. Amnuay Silpa near Phaya Thai but they are similarly priced to some international schools. 

I used to know a few teachers and the English Director from Ektra school, he died some years back.   It was the first of the Sarasas schools and from what I saw and heard, it had a very good program.   Most of the Sarasas schools have school vans that transport students.

On 11/8/2018 at 3:22 PM, chatette said:

BMA schools take migrant children, so quite possible although unlikely if he's not already fluent and/or literate in Thai (even though he would be very quickly if he were allowed entry).
A bi-lingual school may be a better (and easier for your child) choice.

A bilingual school would be a much better choice with likely better teaching and teacher accountability; and not very expensive compared international schools.