BANGKOK 14 November 2018 02:55

Dear all,

I am wondering if any of my ferang bretherin is living in Korat or used to and how his/hers experience has been. What kind of city are we talking about to compared to say Pattaya/Phuket? I am just concerned that the English proficiency in the city might not v good + the city might not have the same buzz as the more touristic cities. Thank you

As you have posted in real estate would assume you are concerned  about property values.  Korat  is a large province with outlying farming away from the main city. I've met many people from Korat whose English  is reasonable due to working  in more tourist areas.  I don't think Korat has any condos so property of any kind would never be yours. Of course lots of foreigners in Korat that have bought their wives houses in the villages worth millions basically with no resale value as only the family  would live there. The city has all the usual shopping malls with a few expats bars but why would you want to live there unless for work or it's your partners home. 

• Like 1

As been said, light years away from Pattaya and Phuket, I live just outside Korat and I does have some very good shopping malls but it's as Thai as Thai can be.you would need some command of the Thai language to get by, there's plenty of massage places if your into that but nothing on the scale of the bars where you have mentioned.

Sent from my ARE-AL00 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

You do need to learn to speak Thai

I was under the impression Korat people spoke their own unique (Laos variation) language.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:28 AM, baansgr said:

As you have posted in real estate would assume you are concerned  about property values.  Korat  is a large province with outlying farming away from the main city. I've met many people from Korat whose English  is reasonable due to working  in more tourist areas.  I don't think Korat has any condos so property of any kind would never be yours. Of course lots of foreigners in Korat that have bought their wives houses in the villages worth millions basically with no resale value as only the family  would live there. The city has all the usual shopping malls with a few expats bars but why would you want to live there unless for work or it's your partners home. 

why would you want to live there

Because not everyone wants to be a sheep and some of us look for something different in our lives.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I was under the impression Korat people spoke their own unique (Laos variation) language.

Yes they do but they also understand Thai.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Yes they do but they also understand Thai.

Which is not much use if you want to listen in on them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Had life not thrown me a curve ball I'd still be there today.

Wife picked up and left you behind?

Sorry but you did open this can of worms.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Which is not much use if you want to listen in on them.

So learn to speak Lao, many expats residents have done so.

Why are you so negative in this thread when you were positive in the foreign child attending a Thai school thread?

2 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

So learn to speak Lao, many expats residents have done so.

Why are you so negative in this thread when you were positive in the foreign child attending a Thai school thread?

Because you should learn the first language of the people living around you, so you can integrate with your neighbours. Not some half-assed middle ground.

Edited by BritManToo

On 11/9/2018 at 7:38 PM, happylarry said:

Although Korat is the third largest city in Thailand it is not a tourist location in any way, although there are quite a large number of expats living here. As far as English proficiency goes, few and far between. Go into a supermarket or department store or petrol station and you would be lucky to find anyone speaking English. There is no comparison in any way to Pattaya or Phuket, and why would there be after all theres no beach...lol

HL

Khorat is by population not the third biggest city in Thailand. That  is Pak Kret  in Nonthaburi province

• Sad 1