BANGKOK 14 November 2018 08:23
Thaivisa Web Content Team

'More than 7,000' still watching black and white TV across UK

It has been half a century since the dawn of colour television, but more than 7,000 people across the UK are still watching in black and white, according to TV Licensing.

Despite an increase in the use of smart televisions, as well as tablets and smartphones to access TV content, some 7,161 UK households are spurning modern technology and have not switched over to colour transmissions.

TV Licensing spokesman Jason Hill said: "Over half of the UK's TVs now connect to the internet so it's interesting that more than 7,000 households still choose to watch their favourite shows on a black and white telly."

He also warned that licences are needed for all TVs, and also to download BBC programmes on any computer, tablet or phone.

Last month, TV Licencing said more than 26,000 people between the ages of 18 and 25 had been caught watching live TV or BBC iPlayer without a licence in the past year.

Regular colour broadcasts began with the Wimbledon tennis tournament on BBC2 in July 1967, and the number of black and white licences issued each year has been in steady decline since.

In 2000, there were 212,000 black and white TV licences issued but by 2003 that number had more than halved to 93,000. The number had dipped below 10,000 by 2015.

Now, London has the largest number of black and white sets at 1,768, followed by the West Midlands with 431 and Greater Manchester with 390.

Full article

How can they be sure`? I would think most of them families also have a color TV . And just kept an old b/w TV for the fun of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balo said:

How can they be sure`? I would think most of them families also have a color TV . And just kept an old b/w TV for the fun of it. 

In which case they would need a colour licence (which also covers B&W).

They are using the licencing statistics, 7k B&W licences sold.

How did they catch these 26,000 people then?

Would that have been with the "TV Detector Vans"?

:laugh::laugh:

2 minutes ago, faraday said:

How did they catch these 26,000 people then?

Nah, the TV detectors are a thing of the past.

Note the age range, a few raids in universities will net that many students watching unlicenced thinking they're covered by their parent's licence.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1

Yawn. "We put 'U' in color!" How many people don't watch TV at all? How many watch TV on computers, avoiding the fees?

8 hours ago, faraday said:

That's what they used to do in my country . 

• Haha 1

I thought all TV broadcasting in the UK is now digital. 

How can these Black & White TV's pick up the signal? unless they are using Top Set (digital receiver).  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, balo said:

That's what they used to do in my country . 

While I did not hunt for television sets, this video is all the more funny for me since I did hunt radio signals.  After having to carry heavy equipment by hand, I started using a military back pack with a shelf on it and strapped my equipment to it.  

I carried strange antenna too!  

Note my avatar, it depicts a piece of old military equipment that I used a little and my signature. 

Edited by radiochaser
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I thought all TV broadcasting in the UK is now digital. 

How can these Black & White TV's pick up the signal? unless they are using Top Set (digital receiver).  

Here in the U.S., it's called a digital to analog converter box. 

18 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I carried strange antenna too! 

I bet you did ! 

As a licensed Ham operator back in the 90's I used to have a weird antenna on top of my roof.  Then I realized I needed a beam antenna to be able to communicate to a remote island on the other side of the planet. It was too big so the neighbors would not allow it. 

Edited by balo

13 minutes ago, balo said:

I bet you did ! 

As a licensed Ham operator back in the 90's I used to have a weird antenna on top of my roof.  Then I realized I needed a beam antenna to be able to communicate to a remote island on the other side of the planet. It was too big so the neighbors would not allow it. 

We are off-topic but recall had good luck with mini loop antennas for long distance communications - large arrays are not always required.

Image result for mini loop antenna

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Obviously all Brexit voters.

No way!

These are the people who are still voting for Winston Churchill!