BANGKOK 14 November 2018 01:53
snoop1130

Thailand falls further behind in English language skills

On 11/9/2018 at 8:07 PM, HalfLight said:

"No have..."  instead oof "I'm sorry, we don't have that' or any one of a couple of dozen perfectly good alternatives. Gimme a break, the problem is simple. Thais ar lazy and if they don't see a quick advantage or a quick buck, thwn they won't do it.

Yes , but "no have" is almost a direct translation from Thai .   So they just pick the two words they know . What they learnt at school was probably nothing anyway . 

1 hour ago, HalfLight said:

Might as well learn body or facial language instead, at least they're common to just about all people.

Not with Thais. Their smile can mean anything from I don't care to die infidel die. Rarely means they are happy about something.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Not with Thais. Their smile can mean anything from I don't care to die infidel die. Rarely means they are happy about something.

Indeed. A man who knows how Thais work. 

I suspect their smiles most often mean "I don't want to reveal what I actually think or feel, so I'll just smile". Nothing it ever what it seems with these people. 99% smoke and mirrors, among themselves and especially with Infidels 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

How can they teach English when they can't speak English ?????

The definitive Paradox......with a little Thainess thrown in.

5 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Indeed, you're probably right. But then if they didn't even ;learn enough to know the English idiom is more complicated than the brain-dead Thai idiom, then there's hardly any point even bothering with it. Might as well learn body or facial language instead, at least they're common to just about all people.

I just love it when the eyes glaze over and they obviously don't understand, even if you're talking perfect Thai. It's because they look at your face and some brain circuits change to expecting English, which they know they don't understand, so they just can't understand anything you say. Bless them, they're just lovely.

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about that, but you're right.

It's little like when you get a farang actor in a lakorn. Yeah, maybe the tones are a little off, but I can understand it, yet they seem to need to subtitle everything they say....just in cast!

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about that, but you're right.

It's little like when you get a farang actor in a lakorn. Yeah, maybe the tones are a little off, but I can understand it, yet they seem to need to subtitle everything they say....just in cast!

Bless... Life must be a real puzzle for them. So many things to try and understand, so little time...

Edited by HalfLight
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2018 at 5:58 AM, Thian said:

In the BKK malls in the suburbs is absolutely nobody who speaks english...not even at the reception where one can report a crime. It's really terrible..but also at MacDonalds, Pizzacompany or Burgerking they can't spea a word inlit...

I'd stop eating at those places. As if the foods not bad enough for you, now they don't speak English!

7 hours ago, TumblinDice said:

I'd stop eating at those places. As if the foods not bad enough for you, now they don't speak English!

The food isn't bad for me cause i burn energy all day mate...i ain't fat ....so don't gimme that bs please. I don't sit on my arse all day.

But i eat there for convenience reasons...in a thai restaurant i have to wait very long, can't park, get to see bad hygiene, hard to order....and so on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TumblinDice said:

Agree, If they don't understand English and they start the 'no understand'game when I speak (probably bad) Thai, then I exercise my right to shop wherever I wish and just walk out. I generally mutter something about being unable to do business with idiots on my way out the door.

And I agree, a lot of Thai food is just dreadful, it explains why historically, Thais are short and thin and dim - poor nutrition. That's changing now thank goodness (well the short and thin is anyway, the dimness will need more than a few decent meals) ,so there is light at the end of the tunnel.