Jump to content
BANGKOK 15 November 2018 00:27
stament

Favourite places to visit CM and beyond in a car.

Recommended Posts

I'm planning on having an extended stay in TH next year and we are planning on going on a family road trip (think National Lampoon's vacation) from CM to Hua Hin. As well as this road trip we are also planning on going north to Chiang Sen, which got me thinking.....dangerous I know....

 

Where in CM and beyond do people recommend as places to visit for families, places of interest and national parks.

 

Whilst I don't want to restrict this I would prefer to focus on road trips not islands.......and ok for a day, weekend or an extended weekend trip. 

 

I particularly liked Chiang Saen and am looking forward to returning. Pai I went to quite a few years back and might go back to. Looking forward to going to Phitsanolouk on our way to Hua Hin.  We shall also be visiting Ao Manao on our Hua Hin trip and maybe Khao Sam Roi Yot national park after a recommendation on TV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chiang Dao area could be recommended for a day trip. It's a little over an hour from CM.

Beautiful mountain; interesting cave with old Buddha images; Hilltribe market on Tuesday mornings in the cool season; Hilltribe villages on trekking routes, and more.

Happy trails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phayao by the lake is just right....enough hotels and businesses to provide ample competition and affordable prices, without the Chinese or trashpackers.  Some outstanding and cheap Thai food..especially, if you like Northern Thai cuisine...and even a couple of nightclubs open very late..you can BYOB and pay 50 baht at the door...somewhat nicer than Chiang Rai...you couldn't pay me to go to Pai.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Pai carry on to Mae Hongson, then follow the border south thru Mae Sariang & Mae Sot Until you reach Umpang & the nearby Thi Lo Su waterfall.

Several days driving if you stop to smell the flowers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to suggest that after Phayao drive 1091 to Nan, maybe overnight there. Then head north on 101 (AH13) to Pua. Then west on 1256 into the mountains and national park to Bo Kluea. Then south via Nan and overnight in Phrae. Although if you are up early enough you could get to Phitsanulok. On the 1256 you will climb into the most magic mountain and rain forest scenery that includes a lookout at 1,715 meters.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having done the Chiang Dao-Thaton-Chiang Saen-Chiang Khong route along the Mekong on my bicycle I would challenge anyone to find a more spectacular short trip anywhere in Thailand.

the scenery was simply outstanding for three days. Chiang Saen and the Golden triangle has a few nice hotels on the river.

Not a great deal going on in the three river towns but if you havnt been around that area its worth penciling in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, moontang said:

Phayao by the lake is just right....enough hotels and businesses to provide ample competition and affordable prices, without the Chinese or trashpackers.  Some outstanding and cheap Thai food..especially, if you like Northern Thai cuisine...and even a couple of nightclubs open very late..you can BYOB and pay 50 baht at the door...somewhat nicer than Chiang Rai...you couldn't pay me to go to Pai.

Sounds great. Bye bye Pai 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stament said:

Sounds great. Bye bye Pai 

A seriously good decision. Has had its charm diminished by over commercialization. A long way to drive for a disappointment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the above good suggestions, agree with the comment about Pai a long drive for nothing.

If you are interested in going to the Golden Triangle an alternative is to travel through Fang district taking in Chiang Dao as suggested,Doi Ang Khang, the hot springs at Fang, Thaton and many other areas of interest fantastic scenery.

If you want more information contact me direct.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, StevieAus said:

All of the above good suggestions, agree with the comment about Pai a long drive for nothing.

If you are interested in going to the Golden Triangle an alternative is to travel through Fang district taking in Chiang Dao as suggested,Doi Ang Khang, the hot springs at Fang, Thaton and many other areas of interest fantastic scenery.

If you want more information contact me direct.

We will be going to Chiang Saen which is close to the Golden Triangle. Will drop you a mail, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, stament said:

We will be going to Chiang Saen which is close to the Golden Triangle. Will drop you a mail, thanks 

There is a stunningly good opium museum in Chiang Saen area called Golden Triangle Park Hall of Opium. Highly recommend a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

There is a stunningly good opium museum in Chiang Saen area called Golden Triangle Park Hall of Opium. Highly recommend a look.

Any free samples? 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×