BANGKOK 15 November 2018 00:48
My Thai Life

many teachers caught in crackdown

In 2016, a teacher was arrested at a private Primary school in Lamphun. He was from Cameroon and had bought "VISA stamps" @ 30,000 THB each for 2 or 3 years... Africans are now required to apply at an embassy in Africa AFAIK. Someone said, Malaysia would be an option, too. Seems many were avoiding the legal route. But it does take two to tango. They should haul some administrators and P'Or s to jail, too (which won't happen).

The deportees that I have been made aware of personally (ie not through the press or online) are all farangs, including

> teachers with work permits working illegally outside of their place of employment

> people teaching in schools without work permits

> people teaching freelance (no work permit possible of course)

> people teaching online (no work permit possible of course).

They're usualy fined too. All the above in the last 2 years.

My experience is that sometimes administrators are not aware of the rules, just as some faranags aren't. This is incredible to the rest of us I know.

Gaol seems a bit excessive to me, but yes it does take two to tango, even if they're dancing in the dark, unaware of the rules.

Edited by My Thai Life

Thailand expelling English teachers and Thais English proficiency declining ..............now theres  a coincidence 

I would guess that in general the people they are arresting, fining, deporting, and barring re-entry are not really teachers.

Teachers would have no problems in getting decent jobs with work permits, and are smart enough to understand simple rules of employment in foreign countries.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1

The deportees that I have been made aware of personally (ie not through the press or online) are all farangs, including

> teachers with work permits working illegally outside of their place of employment
> people teaching in schools without work permits
> people teaching freelance (no work permit possible of course)
> people teaching online (no work permit possible of course).

They're usualy fined too. All the above in the last 2 years.

My experience is that sometimes administrators are not aware of the rules, just as some faranags aren't. This is incredible to the rest of us I know.

Gaol seems a bit excessive to me, but yes it does take two to tango, even if they're dancing in the dark, unaware of the rules.
So nothing new then?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So nothing new then?

Well if you already knew about this level of arrest of illegal "teachers" then you've been keeping it to yourself. Or maybe you're being ironic.

The precise number of "teachers" deported isn't referred to in the article that I linked to, but it seems to be in the low thousands - less than 3,000 anyway, which is a huge amount more than has ever been talked about on this forum before. In fact, posters have regularly denied that farang "teachers" are being deported at all.

Plus, I have seen regular postings on various Thai forums from people with work permits moonlighting in their "free" time, and advising others how to do so. This has alway been illegal - work permits in any country relate solely to your employer - but it seems it's only in the last year or two that this law has been enforced.

Plus plus, the illegality of online teaching has also been questioned, not least of all on this forum. I followed those debates with interest and I have no intention of reopening them or participating in them. The simple fact is that online teaching is not legal for foreigners here, and people have been deported for it - as explained to me by Thai Immigration. For backpackers on "visa" on arrival this may not be important (apart from the fact that they probably can't afford the fine), but for people here on marriage or retirement stays the consequences would be life-changing.

The rules have changed substantially in the last 2 or 3 years, and the enforcement of those rules is now taken much more seriously. People who have been here a long time may feel that they have got away with it for so long that they’ll never be caught, but the times they are a-changing.

Edited by My Thai Life

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Plus, I have seen regular postings on various Thai forums from people with work permits moonlighting in their "free" time, and advising others how to do so. This has always been illegal - work permits in any country relate solely to your employer - but it seems it's only in the last year or two that this law has been enforced.

You seem very sure that you know the rules about everything.

So....how about the new work permit laws, passed in July this year, that make the above totally wrong???

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

You seem very sure that you know the rules about everything.

So....how about the new work permit laws, passed in July this year, that make the above totally wrong???

Yes I am very sure. My certainty comes from wide experience and the fact that my work brings me into frequent contact with the MoE and Immigration, and my information comes from those contacts, not from internet chat.

The "new work permit laws" have nothing whatsoever to do with teachers or anything that affects professional expat employment, despite the frenzied wishful thinking among some sections of the expat community, and attempts by some law firms to hype it up for their business.

Edited by My Thai Life

Can you read whilst sitting on your high horse?

If not, I would suggest you get off and have a good read. The new rules have everything to do with expat employment. 

You could start here, although there is no English version yet www.doe.go.th

Edited by youreavinalaff

17 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You could start here, although there is no English version yet www.doe.go.th

Please post the specific page URL that you think provides the information about how the "new work permit laws" affect teachers and I'll look into it, thanks.

By the way, the site you linked to does have an English language version, you just have to toggle the language option from Thai to English.

Edited by My Thai Life

45 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Please post the specific page URL that you think provides the information about how the "new work permit laws" affect teachers and I'll look into it, thanks.

By the way, the site you linked to does have an English language version, you just have to toggle the language option from Thai to English.

The new law is yet to be posted in English. I can see the website has an English version. I can read Thai so don;t need it.

Maybe you can get one of your buddies at MOE to read it to you.

Edited by youreavinalaff

9 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The new law is yet to be posted in English. I can see the website has an English version. I can read Thai so don;t need it.

Maybe you can get one of your buddies at MOE to read it to you.

Great! So please post the specific URL for the Thai language page that you think provides the information about how the "new work permit laws" affect teachers and I'll look into it, thanks.

6 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Great! So please post the specific URL for the Thai language page that you think provides the information about how the "new work permit laws" affect teachers and I'll look into it, thanks.

I already have. Please read it. Thanks.

The URL you sent is to the main page - anyone can see that just by looking at the URL address in your post. Following that link takes you to a menu page, as you would expect. It is not about teachers.

If you think you really have some relevant infomation about teachers please share it with a specific page URL.

Edited by My Thai Life