BANGKOK 13 November 2018 12:24
jonasan307

Bringing kitchen appliances from Australia

Hi, quick question. I believe the voltage in Thailand is the same as Aus/NZ, I want to bring my mini oven and air fryer from Australia (since foreign appliances in thailand costs a fortune with poor selection of design and model) because these appliances produce heat, would this pose any fire hazard at my home in Thailand?

No to the question above but they might cause a hazard to your wallet when you'll bring them in having to deal with Thai customs...

You can buy just about anything in Thailand...dont bother to bring your own stuff..AU quality is as dubious these days....I can vouch for that..

Voltage and frequency are the same as Oz, you'll need to replace the Aussie plug with a local one.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for spacing and ventilation and they'll pose no more of a fire hazard than they do now.

I would invest in several extinguishers and a fire blanket (for the kitchen) for peace of mind, the brigade here are under-funded and anything you can do to keep the fire going until they arrive will be appreciated.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for spacing and ventilation and they'll pose no more of a fire hazard than they do now.

I don't agree at all with Crossy.

It's the wiring in thai buildings which isn't the same standard as in Oz....And those will catch fire instead of the oven...I've had it several times and the kitchen i have now is totally prepared for machines like that and they all can be used at the same time..including the aircons/waterheaters in the house.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

I don't agree at all with Crossy.

A good point.

BUT

Our OP specifically addressed the quality of appliances available here, NOT the house wiring.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

A good point.

BUT

Our OP specifically addressed the quality of appliances available here, NOT the house wiring.

I see, well i haven't been in Oz for 25 years so i can't judge that.

Myself i have a Samsung combi-oven which was sold as broken in Homepro but it works fine for over 10 years now.

I also brought a lot of  kitchen appliances from Europe and my tip is to not bring it in the original box cause the customs will see it and pick you out....if you bring it like that better also bring the receipt...and make sure it looks used...

I also brought a 3000Watt deepfryer and made a special electric group for that with extra good wires and it's own breaker since 3000Watt is more than usual...

Edited by Thian

There is some reasonably priced decent stuff at the commercial/industrial kitchen supply places you see around.

Nice HD ovens, mixers, grinders and whatnot.

An appliance is an appliance, 90% of them come from china nowadays, Australia stopped manufacturing appliances years ago. Appliances sold in Australia dont have higher current ratings/draw than appliances in other countries. Any circuit protection is the same rating in Thailand or Australia, an over-current breaker will trip and protect the wiring in Australia or Thailand.

If you plug in and use 3 mig welders and an Australian appliance into the same outlet, chances are the breaker will trip but thats nothing to do with the Australian appliance or the Thai wiring, its just overloading the cct.

Edited by Peterw42

In terms of Thai appliance quality, my take is this.

You can buy pretty any make or model of small electrical appliances in Thailand, although anything not manufactured in Thailand will cost a hefty premium compared to what you would have paid for the same thing back home.

Avoid like the plague anything manufactured by OTTO, try to ignore the fact that it'll be a fraction of a foreign brand, because you will regret it if you do buy it, whatever it may be. 

I’ve had good luck with Japanese, US and Korean brands manufactured here, European and Chinese brands manufactured here not so much

31 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Avoid like the plague anything manufactured by OTTO, try to ignore the fact that it'll be a fraction of a foreign brand, because you will regret it if you do buy it, whatever it may be

Funny: both my Otto turbo oven (halogen oven) and rice cooker have been going strong for 8 or 9 years under near daily use.