BANGKOK 11 December 2018 06:46
4MyEgo

Replacing car tyres

My tyres have done about 95,000 kilometres in just under 3 years and are at the point that they need replacing, although still have a little more thread to go, but I would like to replace them now rather than later.

The problem I get when I talk to tyre places is that the price for the same tyre fluctuates, the tyres I have and wish to replace with the same as I am happy with them are Bridgestone 265/65R17 which are on the Ford Ranger.

Now the prices I have been getting range from 4,400 baht to 5,200 baht per tyre fitted in Udon Thani, now the last bloke who I saw told me 4,800 baht per tyre fitted, and I said the bloke up the road will do them for 4,500 baht and he said, yes but they wouldn't be Bridgestone made in Thailand, they would be Bridgestone made in Indonesia and he could do them for 4,400 baht per tyre fitted, but they are not as good quality as the ones made in Thailand which he sells for 4,800 baht per tyre fitted.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind trying to bargain a little, but when it comes to tyres, I don't want to be buying an inferior product and would like any advice on the Thailand or Indonesian made tyres and any reputable places in Udon Thani or around that area if know, and how I could tell where the tyres are made when purchasing them.

As always, thanks in advance for your replies.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Think you did well regarding the Km you got out of your tyres. That size tyre is made by many manufacturers but the prices can vary by a big margin.

For instance, B-Quik do their own brand (Thunderer) for 3,490 bht, I bought those and they were fine but never get near 100k out of them..

http://www.b-quik.com/en/product/tyre/search?w=265&r=%2F65&d=R17

• Thanks 1

I got 96,000 out of the originals on my Vigo. Replaced them with Maxxiss in Pattaya @ just under Bht 2000 each. Now done 65,000 on them with plenty of tread left, at least another 20k I would hope.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

I got 96,000 out of the originals on my Vigo. Replaced them with Maxxiss in Pattaya @ just under Bht 2000 each. Now done 65,000 on them with plenty of tread left, at least another 20k I would hope.

What size were those at that price..?

16 minutes ago, transam said:

What size were those at that price..?

Whatever goes on a Vigo. Maxxis 700 Bravo A/T. A place just up Country Club road.

Just looked....P265/S5R17.  112S.

I got them in December 2015, but the manufacturer's date on them was 2014. Here at Toyota, they will NOT rotate the tyres for me as they say they are 'out of date'. Cockpit rotate, balance and wheel alignment for Bht 800.

Edited by wgdanson

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Whatever goes on a Vigo. Maxxis 700 Bravo A/T. A place just up Country Club road.

Vigo's have different sizes on different models/year..

27 minutes ago, transam said:

Vigo's have different sizes on different models/year..

Sorry, see No 5 again. Cheers

44 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry, see No 5 again. Cheers

You did well, a year on the shelf is nothing to worry about, in fact Michelin still guaranty their tyres with 3 years on the shelf..

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

For a pickup - unless you drive crazy fast for that type of vehicle - most any tire will be OK

When the going gets 200 kmh is when you need high quality tires and change them at or before 50% wear

The most I will go is 120-130kmh which is rare, usually around the 80-90-100kmh and am happy with the current Bridgestones, so I prefer to stick with them if its possible, tested and tried.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The most I will go is 120-130kmh which is rare, usually around the 80-90-100kmh and am happy with the current Bridgestones, so I prefer to stick with them if its possible, tested and tried.

The tyre has made in Thailand so just check date, I tend stick with Bridgestones too.

• Like 1

Check the Bridgestone tyre shop next to AEK hospital, they get good reports from the expat community.

• Like 1