Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 13 December 2018 23:53
TerraplaneGuy

Extension of Stay - Retirement - TM30 required now?

Hi All, I've been here for years on a non-immigrant 0-A retirement visa/extension of stay.  Renting a condo in Bangkok, Immigration Office is Chaeng Wattana.  Recently I've heard rumours that to get your annual extension of stay you now need to submit a copy of the Form TM30 that is supposed to be filed by the landlord when you arrive, confirming your residence (but often in practice is not).  This document was never required in previous years when applying for an extension.  So, questions:

1. Is this now a requirement?  At Chaeng Wattana? 

2. Are there any other new requirements?  The old basics - Form TM7, passport, bank letter, bank book, photos, etc. - hadn't changed for quite some years as of January of this year (when I last extended).

Thanks for any advice!

1. this is not new, at least in Chiang Mai. I was asked to show the TM30 for the past 2 years.

2. what you listed is what I needed last time, but it's been almost a year now

• Thanks 1

Last I heard is some places require it others dont, the usual Thai system, never any clarity.

Have never been asked at Hua Hin and never done one, this year.......who knows??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently not required by the Bangkok immigration office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

Currently not required by the Bangkok immigration office.

Maestro, thanks, good to hear.  Have you been to Chaeng Wattana recently and confirmed this?  

If they do start requiring it in BKK, I'm wondering a couple things:  Would we need to just bring a copy, or would they require a signed (by the landlord) original TM30?  Also, suppose the landlord won't co-operate (possibly for fear of being fined for not filing it within 24 hours of your last arrival, or he's just unhelpful/unavailable)?  How are we supposed to comply?  

In CM, Udon, and Nonthaburi; they want the original in your passport.... extension time is when they nail people.  I own my condo, so I just showed the chinote.  Others have done their own as a leaseholder, but you may need copies of the owners blue book and ID.  Some offices are requiring an appearance by the owner.  I would actually put this as a high priority, if not the highest, when finding an apartment.  Foreign owner, out of area, and maybe not paying taxes...could really suck.  I went in two years ago, a few months before extension time, and paid a 1600 fine in CM...there were quite a few Thais in there getting squeezed, too.

Why not do it online, it will show you the requirements in full and you can't make any mistake. I think it only you to enter the TM30 number, if my memory is correct (so that's not guaranteed). 

12 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Why not do it online, it will show you the requirements in full and you can't make any mistake. I think it only you to enter the TM30 number, if my memory is correct (so that's not guaranteed). 

That is a feature not available to individuals...but is great if your apartment uses it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2018 at 4:34 PM, moontang said:

That is a feature not available to individuals...but is great if your apartment uses it.

Ah. I own my house. Maybe it's different. 

3 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Ah. I own my house. Maybe it's different. 

If you owned your house; you sure as heck wouldn't need a visa....and if you are on some kind of grey area paper....best to be very low key about that.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

If you owned your house; you sure as heck wouldn't need a visa....and if you are on some kind of grey area paper....best to be very low key about that.

IT's possible for foreigners to own houses!

Only not the land where the house is build on. For this you need a lease or something else...

7 minutes ago, HampiK said:

IT's possible for foreigners to own houses!

Only not the land where the house is build on. For this you need a lease or something else...

That is often the grey area mentioned - it is likely not legal if done to to circumvent foreign ownership laws.  Some Condo ownership is officially allowed.

• Thanks 1

They made me file one last month.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

That is often the grey area mentioned - it is likely not legal if done to to circumvent foreign ownership laws.  Some Condo ownership is officially allowed.

Exactly...