Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 17 January 2019 18:12
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Filipina Flight Attendant Breastfeeds Passenger’s Baby During Flight

A flight attendant from the Philippines who breastfed a passenger’s hungry baby is touching hearts on social media.

Patrisha Organo, who has been a flight attendant for Philippine Airlines for four years, shared on Facebook that she gave her milk to a hungry infant during a domestic flight after the baby’s mother ran out of baby formula.

According to her post, which came a day after the incident on November 7, Organo heard a baby crying “a cry that will make you want to do anything to help.”

“I approached the mother and asked if everything’s OK, I tried to tell her to feed her hungry child. Teary-eyed, she told me that she ran out of formula milk,” wrote the 24-year-old, who is also the mother of a 9-month-old baby.

“Passengers started looking and staring at the tiny, fragile crying infant. I felt a pinch in my heart. There’s no formula milk on board. I thought to myself, there’s only one thing I could offer and that’s my own milk. And so I offered,” she added.

After seeking permission from the flight’s line administrator, she made the suggestion to the mother, who immediately agreed. They then headed to a private area where Organo could feed the baby.

In her post, Organo included a photo of her holding the passenger’s baby. She noted that she edited the picture to protect “her family’s privacy.”

Her post has earned thousands of reactions and has been shared over 30,000 times. Many netizens also commended Organo for her willingness to go above and beyond her call of duty.

Some, however, expressed concerns and cited the health risks involved in giving a baby breast milk from another mother.

While sharing milk has become an acceptable practice in some cultures, the majority of the medical community has been warning against it.

“We support breastfeeding, but if you can’t nurse, we recommend breast milk from a milk bank, or that you use formula,” Ari Brown M.D. said, according to Parenting.com. She is a spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics and author of Baby 411.

Full article

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billthekiwi said:

Having a nursemaid is as old as man.

A nice healthy young woman providing milk will have enhanced the child's immune system.

Well done the mother and the flight attendant. Good sense.

Breastmilk itself does very little to boost a babies immune system. What you are probably referring too is "colostrum" which contains antibodies and nutrients from the mother.  A newborn will nurse on colostrum for about a week after birth before the mother starts lactating.

Again I'm thinking. How sad a world we live in ... an "act of kindness" gets splashed across the Internet like it was one of the rarest things that one is lightly to come across in a lifetime.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Again I'm thinking. How sad a world we live in ... an "act of kindness" gets splashed across the Internet like it was one of the rarest things that one is lightly to come across in a lifetime.

LOL, stop exaggerating and moaning and complaining about evreything

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lord, why is this even considered news.  I don't get society's and the general populace's total and absurd reaction when a woman puts a teat in a baby's mouth.  That's their purpose!  <head shake>  This planet is utterly screwed up.

Wetnurse service, that is going above and beyond. My hat is off to her.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

l would not want my child drinking from her body. No thanks No

• Sad 1

seems like long distance flights should carry a can or two of similac or whatever is out there these days for just such an "emergency".  Shouldn't be a big deal to have on hand

• Like 1